TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
What will live shows such as Ant & Dec and The Last Leg - which rely on audience participation - look like if crowds are declined entry to the studios? Will the cameramen provide the applause? It'll certainly be different to the hosts with a lack of feedback to how they are performing. Whilst hosts such as Andy Collins and Mark Curry are seasoned veterans of playing to no/fake audiences. Will they CGI them in?

The Last Leg doesn't 'rely' on audience participation, they could quite easily just do the show without an audience, and acknowledge it.

There's plenty of precidents for entertainment shows without audiences, Kenny Everetts shows he did at Thames are an excellent example. Radio 4 topical comedy The Now Show (which is on the air at the moment) did an audience-free episode on 7/7/2005 when London's transport system was shut down, they just did it in a conventional studio
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 11 March 2020 10:04pm
BR
Brekkie
The Last Leg finishes next week anyhow and they've done episodes without crowds for the Paralympics.

Ant and Dec obviously used to working without a crowd on I'm a Celeb. I do think the show would notably suffer (there is a reason they have a crowd) but they could probably throw together hour-long shows for a couple of weeks and rely on Skype features such as Singalong Live and Happiest Minute, plus switch Win the Ads to a call in comp.

Other than those two shows in primetime I don't think there is anything else live with an audience broadcasting at the moment on the main networks at least. The Voice pre-record most their stages so think they'll have a live semi-final and final in April, though that sort of thing could be postponed if necessary a few weeks.
JC
JCB
Nobody laughs harder at Adam Hill's jokes than Adam Hills so having no audience won't really impact The Last Leg. Infact the only show that is going to be affected badly really, should it happen, is Saturday Night Takeaway.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
If it did happen, it would be a huge shame for Saturday Night Takeaway. 2 years ago, Ant didn't turn up for half the series. This year, nor will the audience, or the plane.
BR
Brekkie
The toughest thing would be if they have to remain 1m apart throughout the show.
JJ
The toughest thing would be if they have to remain 1m apart throughout the show.

Those with 4:3 CRT screens may struggle to see them if they're not in the 4:3 safe zone. Very Happy
JC
JCB
I don't know if anyone is even aware but Sport Relief is this Friday.
JJ
The only other option I suppose is to only allow 10% of the audience into the studio seating area for Ant & Dec/Last Leg/Sport Relief, to allow social distancing to occur. It would look a bit strange but at least the programme would retain 10% of the atmosphere. (% value only a guesstimate)
JJ
It has just been announced that it will be likely be announced tomorrow that the UK will enter the delay phase of COVID-19 - meaning large scale gatherings could be cancelled. So will this mean the above ideas will happen?
Last edited by Juicy Joe on 11 March 2020 11:25pm
LL
London Lite Founding member

There's plenty of precidents for entertainment shows without audiences, Kenny Everetts shows he did at Thames are an excellent example.

Arguably his Thames show where crew members were used for laughs were easily his best tv work.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Not sure how a Saturday Night Takeaway could run without an audience.

They could show The Men in Brown, Get out of my Ear / Ant vs Dec, End of the Show Show & do Win the Ads via Skype?

All wrapped up in an hour.
BR
Brekkie
It has just been announced that it will be likely be announced tomorrow

I'd like to announce that tomorrow I'll be announcing that announcements about forthcoming announcements are one of my pet peeves.
Charlesy, AJ and DeMarkay gave kudos

Newer posts