TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jonwo posted:
At least we have an indication of what shows like Loose Women or Jeremy Vine will be like with no audience.

Both this shows have fairly tiny audiences so they won’t be effected a great deal. Big shows with a big atmosphere will be mostly effected.
PA
Parker
Jeremy Kyle would be a good show to see without an audience Very Happy
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm pretty sure Loose Women have gone audience-free relatively recently, possibly after a terrorist attack?
JA
JAS84
Jonwo posted:
Countdown is a show where having no audience wouldn’t make much of a difference to the atmosphere whereas a show like Have I Got News For You and The Last Leg would be affected more by a lack of studio audience.
It does affect it if nobody can answer the Conundrum, they throw it to the audience before revealing the answer. Minor, though, compared to a lot of other shows.
BR
Brekkie
Well TMZ is reporting that FOX gameshow Mental Samurai has cancelled plans to shoot the 2nd series on an identical set in Madrid due to the virus. (Apparently there is a Spanish version) Instead it will shoot on the set they used for 1st series in Burbank CA. Apparently they were saving money by flying the host and contestants to Spain to shoot the series. Very unusual, but not unheard of for American game shows. Especially these limited-run seasonal stunt game shows like Mental Samurai, that have huge sets.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/10/rob-lowe-mental-samurai-show-production-madrid-spain-coronavirus/

Off topic but increasingly common for a first series at least to be filmed on an international set and then if it proves itself a second series may film locally. Rare for it to be the other way around.
WH
Whataday Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Jonwo posted:
Countdown is a show where having no audience wouldn’t make much of a difference to the atmosphere whereas a show like Have I Got News For You and The Last Leg would be affected more by a lack of studio audience.
It does affect it if nobody can answer the Conundrum, they throw it to the audience before revealing the answer. Minor, though, compared to a lot of other shows.

In which case Nick will probably say "anyone know it? No?" and then reveal it.
SS
SuperSajuuk
JAS84 posted:
Jonwo posted:

Not really that much of a problem. They can always ask the crew, Rachel, Susie or the DC guest, or even just re-ask the contestants after the fact, or as indicated above, just instantly have Nick roll the conundrum after time elapses with no answer. Been a fair few times in the last year where Rachel or the DC guest have managed to solve the conundrum if the contestants did not, so not likely to be surprising.
BR
Brekkie
Presumably Countdown isn't filming now anyway with Rachel surely due. I would guess they've stockpiled enough episodes for Rachel to have her baby one weekend in June.
RO
rob Founding member
Presumably Countdown isn't filming now anyway with Rachel surely due.

She had her baby towards the end of last year and has already been back recording new episodes.
Jonwo posted:
At least we have an indication of what shows like Loose Women or Jeremy Vine will be like with no audience.

Oh God, does that mean we'll have to hear the warm-up bloke making all the laughs and whooping? I was at Loose Women once and he did my head in before the first break...
BK
bkman1990
The Late Late Show in Ireland was meant to have a show at the University Concert Hall in Limerick this Friday night. It was meant to be a special celebration of Irish talent, arts & culture with Failte Ireland in the lead-up to St Patrick's Day on Tuesday. But that show has also been called off yesterday due to Covid-19. It will still have it's normal show in Dublin this Friday night.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
What will live shows such as Ant & Dec and The Last Leg - which rely on audience participation - look like if crowds are declined entry to the studios? Will the cameramen provide the applause? It'll certainly be different to the hosts with a lack of feedback to how they are performing. Whilst hosts such as Andy Collins and Mark Curry are seasoned veterans of playing to no/fake audiences. Will they CGI them in?

Newer posts