TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
The last few trailers I have seen for BBC TWO programmes have had the programme name and title appear before the background animation, and the font wasn't in Reith sans serif that morphed to sans, just sans. Then, once the background animation kicked in the programme name a details disappeared.

I did see a BBC TWO NI trail that did it almost properly, but it didn't do the text morphing either, but at least the naame didn't appear until the curve background had came on screen.
BR
Brekkie
Well it's been about 18 months or so - probably about time for them to start tinkering with things and ruining it bit by bit.
JO
Jonny
Well, I’m not sure what this programme is, but a trailer just went out on BBC One in the North West directly after North West Tonight (a slot often used for regional trails) with this erm, concoction of an end cap:

The trail just had the BBC logo at the bottom until the end cap.

I would advise all TV Forumers who have come into contact with this post self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days.
BG
Big-G
[img][/img]
Jonny posted:
Well, I’m not sure what this programme is, but a trailer just went out on BBC One in the North West directly after North West Tonight (a slot often used for regional trails) with this erm, concoction of an end cap:

I would advise all TV Forumers who have come into contact with this post self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days.

First time I've seen this. But I like it.

G
HC
Hatton Cross
what posted:

And that’s what happens when you leave a job to someone who doesn’t give a crap.

Not only that, but its a total and casual disregard for the current branding of the channel.
And a rather odd and completely unnecessary use of a comma.

Disgraceful.
NA
natwel27
Wow. Seeing that now really puts into perspective how consistent the branding on Two is nowadays. Hopefully that was a one off and we don't start to see 'Swan' leading into some programmes! Laughing

44 days later

GB
Gary Baldy
Jonny posted:

what's the issue?
DB
dbl
Oh dear.
JO
Jonny
what's the issue?

BBC2 had a small rebrand back towards the end of 2018; a quiet affair, little discussed here.

It's understandable you would think the above endboard graphic, a triumph in broadcast design, was still adorning the channel. Alas, no, we have to put up with rubbish like this now:

https://tvhome.co.uk/bbc-two/2020/03/10/0800
TM
ToasterMan
I'm not sure if anyone's discussed this here, but does BBC Two have a purpose in the BBC's multichannel roster anymore, aside from being the second mainstream channel after One?

There was an uproar at the time of BBC Four's launch, as some of BBC Two's art and culture programmes made the move, which was a big problem for viewers without digital, (outside of the BBC Four on Two strand), but even then I remember it also causing a rift with digital viewers for taking away what made BBC Two special.

The 2003-04 BBC Annual Report specifically mentions a new strategy for the channel was to be launched a year after BBC Four's launch in March 2003, drifting away from the entertainment-driven channel of the mid 90's-early 2000's, to make way for more factual programming, and seems to have remained that way ever since.
ET
ethanh05
I'm not sure if anyone's discussed this here, but does BBC Two have a purpose in the BBC's multichannel roster anymore, aside from being the second mainstream channel after One?

There was an uproar at the time of BBC Four's launch, as some of BBC Two's art and culture programmes made the move, which was a big problem for viewers without digital, (outside of the BBC Four on Two strand), but even then I remember it also causing a rift with digital viewers for taking away what made BBC Two special.

The 2003-04 BBC Annual Report specifically mentions a new strategy for the channel was to be launched a year after BBC Four's launch in March 2003, drifting away from the entertainment-driven channel of the mid 90's-early 2000's, to make way for more factual programming, and seems to have remained that way ever since.

I always thought BBC Two was the channel for programmes that weren't mainstream enough for BBC One, but not factual enough for BBC Four.
BR
Brekkie
It also lets shows develop and then feed into BBC1, rightly or wrongly. Without BBC2 we'd probably not have Peaky Blinders and Line of Duty.

Yes, daytime is a bit weak with it being too reliant on simulcasting the news channel, but before that all it did was show CBeebies / CBBC most of the morning anyway, so it isn't much different. Afternoons were weakened when content went to BBC1 but I think they've kind of established what they do in the afternoons now so it doesn't come across as much as filler as it used too. Personally for me BBC2 has been stronger than BBC1 in primetime in recent years - but I don't think one would work without the other.

Newer posts