The Newsroom

CNN International

BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
15 minutes in and Trump hasn't even started talking yet. That's 15 minutes wasted. Isa and Cyril could have done a bulletin and intro into this meaningless speech anyway.....

I'm not sure who's in charge of deciding when CNNI takes over domestic but it seems like this slot is always the most vulnerable.

Cyril & Isa seem to have a pretty sweet gig. They get all the usual holidays CNN anchors get and then even when they're scheduled they can just put their feet up half the time and still get paid as CNNI will simulcast CNN Domestic for any old reason.

They likely won't be on tomorrow either as we're getting Super Tuesday II coverage.

Being entirely serious, is there a case to move YWT to that European morning slot? There's a gaping hole there (8.30am-1pm UK time) crying out for international news programming and we end up seeing TSR so much these days they mayas well just schedule it full-time.
NZ
nznewser World News
15 minutes in and Trump hasn't even started talking yet. That's 15 minutes wasted. Isa and Cyril could have done a bulletin and intro into this meaningless speech anyway.....

I'm not sure who's in charge of deciding when CNNI takes over domestic but it seems like this slot is always the most vulnerable.

Cyril & Isa seem to have a pretty sweet gig. They get all the usual holidays CNN anchors get and then even when they're scheduled they can just put their feet up half the time and still get paid as CNNI will simulcast CNN Domestic for any old reason.

They likely won't be on tomorrow either as we're getting Super Tuesday II coverage.

Being entirely serious, is there a case to move YWT to that European morning slot? There's a gaping hole there (8.30am-1pm UK time) crying out for international news programming and we end up seeing TSR so much these days they mayas well just schedule it full-time.

Yep, some good points. The point about The Situation Room is a good one, but not all that relevant here - on a day of significant breaking news - lock down in Italy, the global markets and other news, one would expect CNNI to be covering this pretty comprehensively, regardless of what they had scheduled!

Re YWT - I agree, it would make a good addition to the schedule during Euro mornings, which would make the prime time in the APAC area.

Btw - the schedule has "America Votes" coverage on Wednesday from 4am Hong Kong time right through to 4pm HK, followed by 3 hrs of New Day. Normal schedule resumes with CNN Newsroom with Max Foster at 8pm HK. So viewers on my side of the world get no world news on CNN from the end of Quest Means Business until Max's half hour bulletin! A 16 hour stretch right through the day!

I would expect, being an election year in the US, CNN to be providing significant coverage - it's their point of difference compared to other international news networks. But they have an international team that should have everything they need to provide the bulk of the "day-to-day" coverage of this and putting it into context for an international audience - something which CNN US doesn't do (nor should it).
GI
ginnyfan World News
Well after hour and a half, they are on. There was already more content and information in 15 minutes of YWT than in 90 minutes of domestic ramblings.
CH
Charles World News
Looks nice, though I still think it's a little weird to have Hong Kong as the backdrop.

BF
Many things are good about CNNI - the London shows that have moved into the new studio for example look stunning.
However, the scheduling does let it all down. Huge chunks at times with no international news and bizarre simulcasts (particularly when it comed to that YWT slot). Spending over 90 minutes on what was a very insignificant Trump speech on such a major news day was bonkers scheduling - and meant you had 2 anchors being paid for only 15 minutes on air which hardly seems efficient.

Also are CNNI only allowed to use the New Day studio and DTL positions in New York? Zain Asher was in for Bianca on the Brief in the broom cupboard/DTL position. There are loads of NY studios not in use at that stage so seems odd to not use one of those
Jeffmister and nznewser gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
Many things are good about CNNI - the London shows that have moved into the new studio for example look stunning.
However, the scheduling does let it all down. Huge chunks at times with no international news and bizarre simulcasts (particularly when it comed to that YWT slot). Spending over 90 minutes on what was a very insignificant Trump speech on such a major news day was bonkers scheduling - and meant you had 2 anchors being paid for only 15 minutes on air which hardly seems efficient.

Also are CNNI only allowed to use the New Day studio and DTL positions in New York? Zain Asher was in for Bianca on the Brief in the broom cupboard/DTL position. There are loads of NY studios not in use at that stage so seems odd to not use one of those

I think there was either maintenance or a pre-record yesterday as QUEST didn't come from Studio 19Y (New Day)
Please excuse any typing errors. I am on my third butterfly keyboard (Mac). An update is due the minute what I want is released. Smile
BF
QMB did come from its usual studio from what I saw. And was most definitely live as it was heavy on live updates on the NYSE.
NE
Newsroom
QMB did come from its usual studio from what I saw. And was most definitely live as it was heavy on live updates on the NYSE.

No it didn't as it isn't today. Reason being the clocks already changed in the US = zero time to set the studio from At This Hour to Quest.
Please excuse any typing errors. I am on my third butterfly keyboard (Mac). An update is due the minute what I want is released. Smile
BF
Think we’re talking about different programmes. The Express is what you’re referring to which is normally 5pm GMT but because of the clock change is at 4pm GMT for the next few weeks I believe (as most shows seem to have moved an hour back) and while I rarely catch it IIRC it’s normally done from the NYSE or at least was previously.

QMB (7pm, usually 8pm) was done from the usual New Day studio last night.

Both are presented by Richard Quest which explains the confusion.
NE
Newsroom
Think we’re talking about different programmes. The Express is what you’re referring to which is normally 5pm GMT but because of the clock change is at 4pm GMT for the next few weeks I believe (as most shows seem to have moved an hour back) and while I rarely catch it IIRC it’s normally done from the NYSE or at least was previously.

QMB (7pm, usually 8pm) was done from the usual New Day studio last night.

Both are presented by Richard Quest which explains the confusion.

You are correct, I do apologise. He's been on all day since New Day so I am somewhat confused to ay the least. Wink
NZ
nznewser World News
If the scheduled "America Votes" coverage is actually "Coronavirus coverage", then why can't CNNI be showing normal programming, ie the Brief and YWT, until CNNUS starts moving into election coverage? I do note that the banner on screen says votes close in 3 hours from now, which would take us to when AC360 normally starts anyway!
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Possible if CNN go into some kind of lockdown themselves they'll opt for simulcasting fulltime in the short term
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.

Newer posts