The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
Minor clarity:

Kate Silverton was one of the launch presenters of GMT on World. George Alagiah presented Monday to Thursday and Kate appeared on Fridays. However, Kate hasn’t appeared on GMT (or wider BBC World) for several years now.

Mishal Husain was never a “relief” presenter on World since the early 00’s! She was - for many years - a lead anchor on BBC World News, eventually securing her own show (Impact with Mishal Husain).

After moving to radio and Sundays Network, Mishal has never again appeared as a news presenter on BBC World apart from two occasions:

• A simulcast version of Impact from Asia which she anchored live on both radio and tv;

• Mishal appeared LIVE from World Studio B in the evening coverage of the day of Mandela’s death.
CM
cmthwtv
Is it a case of how dare she not do rolling news? Or she’s had a different path to the main 6 and 10 bulletins unlike the others. She now does Question Time and therefore isn’t there to be prancing around doing whatever shift comes up. She does the 6 on a Monday, generally.

There has been confusion about who presents when/what, and I have noticed a pattern so far this year:

Monday 1: Ben / Sophie
Monday 5: Huw / Ben
Monday 6: Fiona
Monday 10: Huw

Tues 1: Jane
Tues 5: Huw / Ben
Tues 6: George / Sophie
Tues 10: Huw

Wed 1: Sophie / Jane / Reeta
Wed 5: Huw / Ben
Wed 6: George / Sophie
Wed 10: Huw

Thurs 1: Ben / Sophie
Thurs 5: Ben / Reeta
Thurs 6: George / Sophie
Thurs 10: Sophie / Reeta / Clive

Fri 1: Ben
Fri 5: Jane
Fri 6: Sophie
Fri 10: Clive / Reeta

Note Huw has not done a Thursday so far this year - possibly earning back time from all the extra hours over last few years or change in contract.
:-(
A former member
As someone who doesn’t tend to find presenter talk that interesting, it does intrigue me how Fiona has never done rolling news. If anything I think it gives her more gravitas. Her presence on the news bulletins is all the more prestigious knowing that she won’t just present anything. It’s strange though - she’s just kind of there. Never been the main presenter, and therefore probably wouldn’t be noticed if she were to stop presenting. It’s clearly an arrangement that suits her.

Aside from the QT link she almost reminds me of David Dimbleby.
DV
dvboy
Remember Fiona also presents Antiques Roadshow so that's two weekly shows both on the road, none of the other presenters have that kind of commitment.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Minor clarity:
Mishal Husain was never a “relief” presenter on World since the early 00’s! She was - for many years - a lead anchor on BBC World News, eventually securing her own show (Impact with Mishal Husain).

That's consistent with what I can remember, too. I recall that in about 2001 she was a presenter on World Business Report, often on the 2130 London/New York edition. Towards the end of 2001, Philip Hayton vacated the 2000-0100 BBC World News shift to move over to News 24 full-time (prior to this he'd presented BBC World during the week and News 24 on Saturday afternoons). It was at this point that Mishal was given her first proper newsreading gig, taking over from Philip Hayton on World.

That scenario remained until some point in 2002 when she was moved over to Washington DC to launch the new London/Washington edition of World News. Adrian Finighan was the London presenter. After a while, Mishal was replaced in Washington by Katty Kay and I think she moved onto Breakfast at that point. That's when her face became known to UK viewers and the rest is history, as they say.

Quite a meteoric rise - WBR to Breakfast in about 3 years - but then it was well deserved.
LX
lxflyer
And let’s be honest, Mishal’s main role is as a presenter on the Today programme on Radio 4.

She’s kept the Sunday presenting role on television, but I can’t see her doing more than that (as someone suggested earlier) given her radio presenting as well?
NE
Newsroom
And let’s be honest, Mishal’s main role is as a presenter on the Today programme on Radio 4.

She’s kept the Sunday presenting role on television, but I can’t see her doing more than that (as someone suggested earlier) given her radio presenting as well?

She's popped up about once every 6 weeks on the 6 or 10. She's also part of the 'Special Events present team for the BBC.
JL
JamesLaverty1925

She's popped up about once every 6 weeks on the 6 or 10. She's also part of the 'Special Events present team for the BBC.

In other words, she's more or less taken on the role John Humphrys had in the 90's, with a few extra weekend appearances.
WO
Worzel
Minor clarity:

That's consistent with what I can remember, too. I recall that in about 2001 she was a presenter on World Business Report, often on the 2130 London/New York edition. Towards the end of 2001, Philip Hayton vacated the 2000-0100 BBC World News shift to move over to News 24 full-time (prior to this he'd presented BBC World during the week and News 24 on Saturday afternoons). It was at this point that Mishal was given her first proper newsreading gig, taking over from Philip Hayton on World.

That scenario remained until some point in 2002 when she was moved over to Washington DC to launch the new London/Washington edition of World News. Adrian Finighan was the London presenter. After a while, Mishal was replaced in Washington by Katty Kay and I think she moved onto Breakfast at that point. That's when her face became known to UK viewers and the rest is history, as they say.

Quite a meteoric rise - WBR to Breakfast in about 3 years - but then it was well deserved.

Yes, she was a presenter on WBR. As shown here in 2001.

NE
Newsroom

In other words, she's more or less taken on the role John Humphrys had in the 90's, with a few extra weekend appearances.

Ummmmmm, not at all.
AS
AlexS
Unfamiliar presenter on the news channel at 18:30, think his name was Clive something or other.
JA
Jamesypoo
AlexS posted:
Unfamiliar presenter on the news channel at 18:30, think his name was Clive something or other.

Are you being serious? It's Clive Myrie.

Newer posts