The Newsroom

CBSN LOCAL - CBS to accelerate local channels nationwide

Chicago and other major cities to get CBSN Local channels by 2020 (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Bates used to read the news on Radio 2 and 4 in the early 70s.

What I find amazing about his career is that he presented shows on Radio 2 and then moved to Radio 1 - something that sounds ridiculous now as you expect Radio 1 DJs to start when they're younger and gradually move over to Radio 2 as they get older.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
At that time, Radio 1 was almost an opt out from Radio 2 with lots of shared programming.

More surprisingly, though - Bates actually started as a Radio 4 Continuity Announcer!
NT
Night Thoughts
And I put on CBSN this morning and the first thing I see is Simon Bates- yes THAT Simon Bates, reporting for them from London 🤣

Wow. Good on Simon Bates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQppW0WY3fo

Blimey! Where is that studio?
LL
London Lite Founding member
I remember when Simon Bates joined LBC in the 90s after leaving Radio 1 that people found it strange, but he does have a news past.

There was also the short lived Breakfast with Bates on talkRADIO.

Last edited by London Lite on 8 March 2020 5:22pm
MA
Markymark
Bates used to read the news on Radio 2 and 4 in the early 70s.

Yes. And was also a continuity announcer/newsreader on Southern TV. (Although none of those positions necessarily were 'journalistic')
CI
cityprod
NYTV posted:
And I put on CBSN this morning and the first thing I see is Simon Bates- yes THAT Simon Bates, reporting for them from London 🤣

He's a regular contributor to CBS Sunday Morning as well as his "London Calling" segments for the CBS Morning News

He and other UK contributors have been doing this segment for a number of years now. I think originally it went out as part of CBS News: Up To The Minute, and I remember this segment being a thing in the late noughties.
CI
cityprod
A quick check on YouTube finds a number of segments under the original name London Comment, with three regular contributors. Simon Bates, Peter Allen of 5 Live and former Westcountry Political Editor Ed Boyle.

VM
VMPhil

Wow. Good on Simon Bates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQppW0WY3fo

Blimey! Where is that studio?

It appears to be in the CBS News London Bureau in Chiswick Park
JA
james-2001
Wondering if there's some sort of issues at CBSN right now? Trying to log into the app on my Roku since last night and I'm just getting thrown straight out (all my other apps work, and removing and re-adding it hasn't fixed it), and the stream of the main channel on their website is just relaying CBSN Boston (on around a 3 minute delay compared to selecting the Boston version directly), and the most recent videos uploaded to the CBS News YouTube are from the Boston channel too.

Edit: They've just mentioned on air that it's because the main studios are closed for cleaning as a result of employees testing positive for Coronavirus. And he mentioned "people watching the channel around the world"- is someone there reading this forum? Razz A quick look shows CBSN New York is simulcasting Boston too, on an even longer 6 minute delay.

Still not sure why the Roku app's throwing me out, unless it's confused by the main channel feed not working properly
Last edited by james-2001 on 13 March 2020 1:06am - 2 times in total
MA
mark Founding member
CBSN seems to be really struggling as a result of the issues at the CBS broadcast center. They've been stimulating various local CBSN channels for days now.

Not sure why they haven't been able to get a normal service on air from a backup location - and also not sure why it's still an issue when CBS This Morning was back on air from the studio next door to CBSN's today.
RK
Rkolsen
mark posted:
CBSN seems to be really struggling as a result of the issues at the CBS broadcast center. They've been stimulating various local CBSN channels for days now.

Not sure why they haven't been able to get a normal service on air from a backup location - and also not sure why it's still an issue when CBS This Morning was back on air from the studio next door to CBSN's today.

CBS has ordered/offered most of their staff nationwide to work remotely and I believe many staff for CBSN did so as well.
NY
NYTV
mark posted:

Fair play to CBS, they are still operating in a limited capacity. It’s been reported that both CBS and NBC told staff to work remotely.

Newer posts