TV Home Forum

The end of Lottery updates on BBC One

Split from BBC Oneness adds a bit of hot air (February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
I think they've been saying that script word for word for a few weeks now
IN
Interceptor
Why can't the BBC just air the Wednesday and Saturday draws in a basic, simple way for the viewers?

What give's you the idea that they can't?

There is no reason they should.
JK
JKDerry
Here is Ireland's very first edition of their National Lottery television game show Winning Streak, launched in 1990 and still airs today in 2020, a short clip from the RTE archives:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/entertainment/2018/0223/943042-winning-streak/
JK
JKDerry
Here is a clip of the first £1 million jackpot in Ireland in 1989 which caused Lotto mania in the country, a bit like what happened 5 years later when the British lottery started.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0423/1045170-million-pound-lottery/
BR
Brekkie
Are the draws actually broadcast live by Camelot at all anymore or are they all pre-recorded to be released on their Youtube channel etc. shortly after being made?

I'd have thought in the interests of transparency even though the draws are now in empty rooms they'd still have to broadcast them live so they couldn't opt to do a redraw if it didn't give them a favourable breakdown of winners,
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

seems to imply it is streamed live, and YouTube archives the stream.
BR
Brekkie
Ooh, they've changed the music (and graphics) on them since I last watched one. Thunderball machines look different too as I'm sure the numbers used to roll round to the bottom

Yes, certainly we're given the impression it is live - just appears too slick too be and wouldn't harm having a brief wide shot with the independent adjudicator in-vision. Not sure how long the TV spot is now but do think that a 90-second draw could be shown rather than the style of ads they've used and be just as effective a promotional tool.

EDIT: OK, having watched the last draw of each type I now hate "Three is the magic number". Odd that for the Euromillions they use pre-recorded Alan but he doesn't reveal the number - even though it is sourced from Paris you'd think that would be no different to adding on the other draws. Set for Life uses a different announcer (and the same machines as Thunderball) - still pre-recorded I assume but no-pun intended there seems a bit more life in it.
Last edited by Brekkie on 8 March 2020 12:01am
JO
Josh
Surely they could just use Deadly's other number call outs from Thunderball or Lotto for the Euromillions draw?
ET
ethanh05
Ooh, they've changed the music (and graphics) on them since I last watched one. Thunderball machines look different too as I'm sure the numbers used to roll round to the bottom

Yes, certainly we're given the impression it is live - just appears too slick too be and wouldn't harm having a brief wide shot with the independent adjudicator in-vision. Not sure how long the TV spot is now but do think that a 90-second draw could be shown rather than the style of ads they've used and be just as effective a promotional tool.

EDIT: OK, having watched the last draw of each type I now hate "Three is the magic number". Odd that for the Euromillions they use pre-recorded Alan but he doesn't reveal the number - even though it is sourced from Paris you'd think that would be no different to adding on the other draws. Set for Life uses a different announcer (and the same machines as Thunderball) - still pre-recorded I assume but no-pun intended there seems a bit more life in it.

If you hate 'three is the magic number', you won't like these draws I'm afraid.
CR
Critique
Nice to see they've bothered to update the graphics for the draw videos online considering what's likely to be a very low viewership. A few months back the online draws were still using the music from the last time the draws were on TV and looked a bit of mishmash.

Also interesting to see that bits of the last set from The National Lottery TV draws are still soldiering on (the light strips behind the draw machines). Before this brand refresh they were also using a CGI version of the last TV set to make the draws a bit more than a shot of the draw machines for a couple of minutes, but looks like they've finally given up on doing that!
TV
iloveTV1
Are they still going to air them during the ads on ITV?

28 days later

JO
Johnr
Deadly announced the results on the ITV update this evening!

I’m sure I also heard Dermot O Leary the other week too...

Newer posts