TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Although had it been Ken's actual exit it would have been pretty poor. I still don't think a "retirement village" is in keeping with the character at all - if it had been Rita it would have made sense, especially after the recent loneliness story.
DA
davidhorman
Does anyone else remember Ken getting pneumonia a month or two ago? And then he came back soon after and he was fine? It was really odd as it wasn't like his absence required much explanation.
SC
Si-Co
Is the whole point of this so Bill Roache can cut down his appearances, with Ken effectively becoming a recurring character, whilst still maintaining a presence in the serial? At 87, I wouldn’t blame him.
Ben Shatliff, NicB1971 and Sh1ruba gave kudos
JB
JasonB
I've noticed that the old Kabin outside Jim's Café has been replaced with a brick wall on the ITV 3 repeats. Before you could still see the door opposite the café years after Rita moved the shop.
Last edited by JasonB on 21 February 2020 6:48pm

8 days later

BR
Brekkie
How often do Corrie use the break sting which basically promotes Costa and Co-op?
JO
Jon
How often do Corrie use the break sting which basically promotes Costa and Co-op?

Probably when they have a contractual requirement to get a few more shots in the week.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Caught a glimpse of a current episode of Corrie last night. It featured two characters meeting in the street and one of them carried a Costa Coffee thermos mug, with the Costa logo clearly turned towards the camera for a blatant appearance in the episode.

I thought such blatant advertising was disallowed? (Whereas discreet product placement was acceptable).
JO
Jon
Caught a glimpse of a current episode of Corrie last night. It featured two characters meeting in the street and one of them carried a Costa Coffee thermos mug, with the Costa logo clearly turned towards the camera for a blatant appearance in the episode.

I thought such blatant advertising was disallowed? (Whereas discreet product placement was acceptable).

If it’s just that the character happens to be holding the cup that way it’s fine. If the character starts talking about their “wonderful coffee” with a close up of the cup, it probably would be breaking the rules.

I guess it all comes down to whether it can be justified as something that is an everyday occurrence and the question of whether you would be likely to write a scene with someone holding a coffee if it didn’t have a sponsors logo, people holding coffees happens.
Last edited by Jon on 28 February 2020 9:06pm
JA
james-2001
I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the quality of Samir's acting. It's terrible.
NW
nwtv2003
I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the quality of Samir's acting. It's terrible.

I don’t remember it being that bad! Anyway he and Deirdre are out of the show for a few months now. Yesterday ITV3 reached 1995, which in itself was an eventful Corrie year.
SP
Spencer

You say that, but so many people were convinced his accent was real, and were shocked to discover he wasn’t really Moroccan.

See Graham Norton’s reaction when Anne Kirkbride reveals this (4 minutes in)...

Laughing
WH
Whataday Founding member
I remember Mrs Merton waxing lyrical about his acting ability, saying how she'd well up every time he said "I love you Diddery".

Newer posts