TV Home Forum

Spitting Image to return on BritBox

(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
A topical show on a platform mainly reliant on ar hive boxsets seems an odd fit.

To be honest I think it’s odd, it’s not the type of thing that would be a loss leader or something that would drive up subscriptions to Brit Box. If they announced this along with a load of new commissions or acquisitions I could understand, but there doesn’t appear to be anything else.

I hope the series does well I really do, but I just can’t see it being widely watched solely on Brit Box.
JA
james-2001
Maybe it will be on BritBox at first then repeated on ITV later? Though the topicality will have gone by then if that happened.
BR
Brekkie
I'd be saying the same if it was on Netflix too - the strength in On Demand is series and films people can watch at their own pace rather than something topical which is dated within a week or so.
AS
Ash101
I will definitely subscribe to watch this, as I love these type of shows. I haven’t tried BritBox yet, so may be able to take advantage of a free trial.

But yes, odd strategy to announce 1 original show.

If you’ve got the ITV team overseeing the commissions for BritBox, where do they draw the line between “we want this for TV” and “we want this for online”?
WH
what
I will definitely subscribe to watch this, as I love these type of shows. I haven’t tried BritBox yet, so may be able to take advantage of a free trial.

But yes, odd strategy to announce 1 original show.

If you’ve got the ITV team overseeing the commissions for BritBox, where do they draw the line between “we want this for TV” and “we want this for online”?

Easy. Britbox gets everything that doesn’t star someone on James Grant’s roster.
DE
deejay
Beyond 100 Days had an interview with royalty on this subject yesterday. Well worth a watch. A headline clip at the start and the interview begins at around 47 minutes
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fzls
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'd be saying the same if it was on Netflix too - the strength in On Demand is series and films people can watch at their own pace rather than something topical which is dated within a week or so.

That is certainly a strength but more and more streaming services are producing appointment to view television with many key series released weekly, often trending on Twitter when they drop. Plus as you've identified, BritBox relies on the BBC/ITV archive, so I don't see how slightly out of date Spitting Image is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

To be honest I think it’s odd, it’s not the type of thing that would be a loss leader or something that would drive up subscriptions to Brit Box.

I think you've underestimated how many headlines Spitting Image used to generate from week to week. From revealing the puppet of the latest cabinet member to 'outrage' over a particular sketch. The ongoing publicity it stands to get is far more than if they'd commissioned a crime drama or something similar.

Plus, as they appear to be making it US-friendly, and with it landing in time for the US presidential elections it should do well on BritBox US too. It makes perfect sense to me.
Last edited by Whataday on 5 March 2020 11:16am
JO
Jon
How popular is BritBox in the states? I imagine the main audience is ex-pats and wouldn’t be on the radar in the same way Netflix, Prime Video and Disney + are.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jon posted:
How popular is BritBox in the states? I imagine the main audience is ex-pats and wouldn’t be on the radar in the same way Netflix, Prime Video and Disney + are.

Britbox US has 1m subscribers.
GO
gottago
Jon posted:

There's a big British drama fanbase over there and I expect that's the main market they're going for.

Although I've no idea how streaming Good Morning Britain matches that demographic!
WH
Whataday Founding member
There's a big British drama fanbase over there and I expect that's the main market they're going for.

There seems to be more of an emphasis on comedy in their marketing, judging from their YouTube channel.
BR
Brekkie
Also it's been announced today it's launching in Australia where it is a 50/50 venture between BBC Studios and ITV, compared to here where the BBC have just a 10% stake.

Newer posts