Spitting Image to return on BritBox

(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
I assume that the voices will people who work on Dead Ringers
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm assuming this is the American one that was announced a while back and not an exclusively UK version? Please tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong... sort of. What was announced previously was a pilot aimed at the US market. It seems BritBox have picked it up so it will have a UK skew, but I really wouldn't be surprised if there's a decent amount of US references to make it appealing to BritBox US viewers too (Trump, Harry & Meghan).

They've released designs for Dominic Cummings so this is definitely not what was pitched last year.
WH
what
It is going to feature Dominic Cummings at some point. Not a really well known figure in the US I don’t think (I doubt many British people knew him either before the election, but I digress).
WH
Whataday Founding member
Quote:
BritBox Originals creative chief and ITV's director of TV Kevin Lygo said: 'We are thrilled that BritBox can provide the opportunity for British creativity to truly run wild, and we are looking forward to enticing new subscribers with the new series and service.'

As on previous series, some scripts will be written and new puppets made nearer to airtime.

The show will be produced by Avalon, whose credits include The Russell Howard Hour, Taskmaster, Catastrophe and Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.

Spitting Image will air exclusively on Britbox from autumn, and a second series will follow next year.
WH
what
Managing original series for a streaming platform seems an odd job for Kevin Lygo, whose only really meaningful programming strategy at ITV has been “stick with the same crap we’ve been airing for years”.
richard h and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
More quotes:

Quote:
Reemah Sakaan, Group Director ITV SVOD and Chief Creative & Brand Officer BritBox said, “We cannot wait to bring back Spitting Image. BritBox is the natural home for the sharpest satirical wit and craft in the UK industry. The timing couldn’t be better to present a new series on a new service with a uniquely British point of view.”

Quote:
Roger Law, Spitting Image co-creator and Executive Producer, said, “I’ve refused to resuscitate Spitting Image for years but when my pension ran out and my palm was crossed with silver what could an old man do? The new Spitting Image will be global through a uniquely British eye, it will be more outrageous, audacious and salacious than the previous incarnation.”

“When Dominic Cummings finally gets the boot, Spitting Image will give him a job. We’ve always employed weirdos and are sure Dom will be a great asset, he seems to hate politicians as much as we do. We will take back control from the likes of BoJo, Trump, Harry & Meghan, Elon Musk, and Kim Kardashian,” he added.

Quote:
Jon Thoday, Executive Producer at Avalon, added, “With the world becoming an ever smaller place I am delighted BritBox have the ambition to keep the UK at the centre of international satire.”
JO
Jonwo
I do wonder how they’ll portray Keir Starmer should he win the Labour leadership as he’s a bit bland compared to Corbyn.

In terms of media personalities, I could see Laura Kuenssberg getting the Spitting Image and perhaps Huw Edwards or Fiona Bruce
MA
Markymark
Jonwo posted:
I do wonder how they’ll portray Keir Starmer should he win the Labour leadership as he’s a bit bland compared to Corbyn .

<markymark raises an eyebrow>
DA
davidhorman
Jonwo posted:
I do wonder how they’ll portray Keir Starmer should he win the Labour leadership as he’s a bit bland

I think Spitting Image knows how to get comedy mileage out of bland politicians.

More peas, dear?
BR
Brekkie
A topical show on a platform mainly reliant on archive boxsets seems an odd fit.
Last edited by Brekkie on 4 March 2020 5:45pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
A topical show on a platform mainly reliant on ar hive boxsets seems an odd fit.

Does it? Even when it's a revival of a classic and BritBox has very clearly committed to original content?
LL
London Lite Founding member
I've cancelled BritBox for now, but will certainly resub when Spitting Image starts.

Newer posts