The Gallery

Mix of 1999 and 2019 style Look North intro mock

If it's correct, I'm good! (February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OW
Owen_ploc
Here's what I did in paint.net in less than 5 minutes. Still looks like a car crash though.
HA
harshy Founding member
Josh posted:
If you're going to make a comment like you have, you should at least give some constructive criticism so they can improve.

I like the idea you're trying to get across but the components don't match each other. For example, you have the 2019 News logo but you're using Gill Sans for the Look North text.
I think that a background other than white (maybe the custard beige that they used?) will help it. Just make sure that you change the Look North text colour accordingly.

I think this has potential and I believe in you. Just ignore the unhelpful comments and try your hardest!

I can’t see any potential maybe he should make it look like Yorkshire first rather then a boot worn by William Tell.
DO
dosxuk
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you post something in the Gallery and get upset that we don't think its the best thing since sliced bread, then it probably isn't and you should be prepared for people not liking your work. If you're not prepared to be told that your work is crap then you probably shouldn't be posting. Simple as.

And has never been any different. There has always been a high bar on the standards expected here, and likewise, there has always been younger members complaining that they've tried hard and should get appreciation for that. To which the response is the same, this isn't school, nobody here is paid to make you feel good like your teachers are.

Sometimes mocks are that bad that the best is for everyone to just pretend it doesn't exist, and those often then get flippant responses, jokes, and mostly gentle criticism, e.g. my first post on this thread. This thread only kicked off when other people started suggesting the problem with it was that the poster didn't use expensive enough software, which is absolute nonsense.

So no, this place isn't becoming like DS. This place hasn't changed, in fact, it's probably better than it used to be.
DW
DavidWhitfield
This is doing my head in.

People don't seem to understand the distinction between constructive, useful criticism and unhelpful negativity.

How is "I'm sorry but it's pants", "I could make this in two minutes", for example, supposed to help the poster improve it? Is that the sort of comment you really think The Gallery is for?

If the comments were along the lines of 'this really isn't very good because (a), (b), (c), why don't you try doing [this] and seeing how that goes?' then there wouldn't be a problem.

It's people who like to come on here and smugly say things like "yeah, this is terrible" and offer nothing of use which annoy me. You're contributing nothing of any merit and then claim that people just can't handle criticism if they pull you up on it.

Not everything on The Gallery will be perfect; it's a load of amateurs having a go because they're interested in it, so why not support people with like-minded views/hobbies instead of shooting people down and give help and support where possible? Surely that would be better?

If you're coming here to simply go 'this is awful', then don't post anything at all. There must be other ways you can make yourself feel better about yourself? Do something more useful, like fashioning a fireguard out of margarine.
HA
harshy Founding member
I did actually say it needs to look like Yorkshire first, so I have offered feedback...
DW
DavidWhitfield
I did actually say it needs to look like Yorkshire first , so I have offered feedback...

Well, you didn't actually. First, you simply said it's pants, then a few posts later you said you see no potential in it, then added a comment about making it look more like Yorkshire (granted), but that was followed by another negative comment where you described his work as looking like an old piece of footwear, but alright, Harshy, if you want to pretend you've offered anything of use and weren't just needlessly negative when you could have either been supportive or offered genuine advice, then you go ahead and think that.
HA
harshy Founding member
It does look like footwear though if he actually used a map it would have looked like the land I live in.
DW
DavidWhitfield
So there's a useful bit of feedback.

Do you not see how you could have said something along the lines of "I think this could be improved if you used a map instead of trying to create the catchment area by hand" rather than what you actually said? Constructive criticism is useful, I just don't understand the acerbic nature of many of the comments here.

I am sure that with some fiddling and some playing around with it, a region outline could work well in a mock of this nature.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 29 February 2020 1:13pm
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The problem as of late seems to be:

"I've got a mock. I like it, its far better than anything I've ever seen on the telly. I'll post it here and bask in the glory while everybody tells me how great this piece of work is."

Two problems:
1) it rarely is great, to a standard that anybody could see it on the telly.
2) It was usually cobbled together in x minutes on Paint. The tool you use isn't the problem. The problem is you spent x minutes on it.

New people who post mocks here seem to lose concept of the fact that this is a TV Presentation Forum . So in other words if what you've done looks crap compared to what's on the telly presentation wise today, then how can it be an improvement on what's already there? This is what we're here for to discuss presentation.

Nobody expects anything posted here to get anywhere near something classic like Carlton's 1999 package for example - most things won't, and in fairness even what is around today isn't as pretty or dynamic as that package was, but that doesn't mean the basics can't apply in a mock. Slapping white text on yellow backgrounds is a no no. Using some ugly font that is totally inappropriate is a no no. Both of which have been done (by accident or otherwise) in other mocks.

How many times have we sat here on TV Forum and looked at something that's just gone out on the telly and wrote things like "that ident is crap", "those colours are totally wrong and just don't work" and "what the bloody hell is that?". And this is for stuff that designers and creators get paid to do for a living, to knock up stuff like that that we can voice an opinion on. So its probably safe to say that professionals can get it in the neck from a site like this, the amateurs should wear some thick skin too.
HA
harshy Founding member
I’d love to create a Carlton like ident just don’t know if it’s Adobe After Effects, Cinema 4d or 3D studio max that would produce the results, I noticed this poster hasn’t posted since and we’ve effectively attacked each other which is probably what the original poster intended...
NL
Ne1L C
This is doing my head in.

People don't seem to understand the distinction between constructive, useful criticism and unhelpful negativity.

How is "I'm sorry but it's pants", "I could make this in two minutes", for example, supposed to help the poster improve it? Is that the sort of comment you really think The Gallery is for?

If the comments were along the lines of 'this really isn't very good because (a), (b), (c), why don't you try doing [this] and seeing how that goes?' then there wouldn't be a problem.

It's people who like to come on here and smugly say things like "yeah, this is terrible" and offer nothing of use which annoy me. You're contributing nothing of any merit and then claim that people just can't handle criticism if they pull you up on it.

Not everything on The Gallery will be perfect; it's a load of amateurs having a go because they're interested in it, so why not support people with like-minded views/hobbies instead of shooting people down and give help and support where possible? Surely that would be better?

If you're coming here to simply go 'this is awful', then don't post anything at all. There must be other ways you can make yourself feel better about yourself? Do something more useful, like fashioning a fireguard out of margarine.

Or a chocolate teapot. That would be one episode of Dragon's Den I'd watch...

Being serious now. I understand why some are getting sick of the vile remarks on here. Recent events have brought trolling and its effects into sharp focus. I would have thought that a little more compassion would seeped in by now.
HA
harshy Founding member
we are going soft, in a work place if you do gub work you will rightly get told to buckle up or else, I don’t think the remarks here can be equated to the truely vile comments made by twitter trolls.

Newer posts