TV Home Forum

Channel 5 rebrand 2020

Split from Channel 5 general discussion (February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
They haven't removed the Google Plus icon on the site, either. It closed in April 2019.
CR
Critique
Josh posted:
They haven't removed the Google Plus icon on the site, either. It closed in April 2019.

They're not the only ones...
OR
orange
I’ve got to say though even though it’s an improvement - it feels rather interim - it reminds me of this
FB
FBC
They could turn out to be a lovely template for themed/programme-specific idents, actually. And Channel 5 used to be rather fond on those before their last rebrand.
FA
fanoftv
_Tom_ posted:
I’ve got to say though even though it’s an improvement - it feels rather interim - it reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwDlqhtRDQk

Or these:
VM
VMPhil
_Tom_ posted:
I’ve got to say though even though it’s an improvement - it feels rather interim - it reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwDlqhtRDQk

Or these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lktTdhCl-Z8

Yep, was about to say this. Still really like these - lovely, simple, and the first idents since the original set that didn't seem slightly tacky.
ToasterMan, Brekkie and PFML84 gave kudos
PF
PFML84
The acronym is KISS - keep it simple, stupid. That is what Channel 5 have done and it has worked for them. If they evolve this slightly with various different angles for the ident build-up and various colour schemes/themes then they have a great on screen look, second only to BBC TWO at the moment, and who would have thought that would ever be the case? The 2002 idents above are also a great example of a simple on screen look that really worked and was effective, as was their 2000 idents that didn't feature celebrities and just had the nice graphics and a short jingle.
BR
Brekkie
2002 are a great example of how simple can look stunning.

2020 are not.
PE
Pete Founding member

This remains my favourite C5 ident, a gem in an otherwise bland package
ST
Stuart
It's a shame to lose the pres package of the 'spinning blocks' for break bumpers and promos, even though it was very 1980s 'C4-esque'. I am pleased they have now gone for proper CGI idents on the main channel, rather than the obscure ones they had before.

5USA haven't updated to the filled-in 5 DOG, but perhaps they also need to change the idents, which I think will continue to be very good with that slight alteration. The 'outline DOG' is just a figure 5 with some lines drawn across it.
PF
PFML84
Only Channel 5 and 5 STAR have adopted the new logo as they have modified their looks to coincide with it.
5 USA and 5 SELECT are still using the old one, for now.

5 SELECT's idents are still just the 5 PRIME idents, before they decided to change the name prior to launch, with a different logo slapped on. The modified R symbol can still be seen flying around in the background during the idents and endboards.
ST
Stuart
5 SELECT's idents are still just the 5 PRIME idents, before they decided to change the name prior to launch, with a different logo slapped on. The modified R symbol can still be seen flying around in the background during the idents and endboards.

I'm fairly sure the 'decision' wasn't theirs, in view of the objection from Amazon Prime. Laughing

Newer posts