TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
I bet they'll turn up on BT. Considering previously the rights holders had 5/6 live games plus 2/3 replays it seems reasonable they'd have all 8 games between them.

I suspect not as they'd be 'up against' the two matches on each evening on the BBC. If they were scheduled for Mon or Thu it would be entirely different. surprised me to see a 1:3:3:1 split across the week in the first place.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The UAE Tour the only Pro Cycling event in the Middle East, currently covered on Eurosport, has been suspended tonight (effectively cancelled) due to a suspected case two Italian riders testing positive for Coronavirus in the hotel being used to accomodate the teams participating

Tests of all paricipants and support team members will take place tomorrow. Those cleared will be permitted to leave on Saturday.

UPDATED with new information and a Tweet.

Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 27 February 2020 11:09pm
HC
Hatton Cross
In other rights news..
Sail GP (the lazily entitled 'Formula 1 of sailing) last year filling up the airtime on BT Sport, is now on Sky Sports Arena for this season.

Doubt there was an intense battle for the UK and Ireland rights.

As last year, all on screen and off world feed coverage provided again by Whisper.
BR
Brekkie
Whisper have built up quite a nice profile in their relatively short lifespan.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but Saturday sees Formula E return to BBC Two. Jennie Gow will be presenting live coverage of the Marrakesh race, in a nice mid-afternoon slot.

In case you want to watch it with ad breaks, it's also on Eurosport - was BT Sport last season.
JO
Jon
Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but Saturday sees Formula E return to BBC Two. Jennie Gow will be presenting live coverage of the Marrakesh race, in a nice mid-afternoon slot.

In case you want to watch it with ad breaks, it's also on Eurosport - was BT Sport last season.

Wasn’t it BBC Sport, BT Sport and Eurosport/Quest last year with a magazine show at least on Free Sports? Basically they give it away free to anyone who wants it, it seems.
RD
rdd Founding member
Virgin Media Sport in Ireland have it too, and there are highlights on Quest for good measure.
CO
commseng
I hope you are enjoying the Sail GP.
Remote production with some of the on board yacht cameras being controlled from Ealing Studios.
Also the camera racking for the chase boats, helicopter and hand held cameras is also being done in Ealing.
It seemed to go OK yesterday, although my colleagues back in base were sounding tired when we came off air!
Last edited by commseng on 29 February 2020 12:23am
HC
Hatton Cross
It's a solid production, for something that isn't that easy to cover.
There's no phsycal 'track', just a course so explaining it with commentary and graphics is no easy task.

Only problem I have is the crackling nature of the on boat communication system, and there's no pre F1 'team radio' style graphic, so the commentary team are talking over an already difficult to hear audio.

Also some of the virtual graphics which are overlaid on the course are very wobbly, and after race 3 the boundary line graphic ended up being overlaid on the upper deck of a spectator boat.
But, little niggles to be expected.
CO
commseng
Just finished derigging the 18m tower you saw in the middle of th island, and getting it all back to the mainland.
A long day.
Thanks for your thoughts on it all.
It is quite a challenge to cover as you say.
The course can be wherever the winds are blowing, so changes daily.
ST
steveboswell
Caught the start of the cycling highlights on BBC Two just now, and the titles and graphics are quite bizarre; more like a children's programme about witches and wizards than world-class sport!
MI
Michael
The Rugby Paper leading with a story that the Six Nations is to go back to Sky in a £300m deal.

Will be interesting to see if Welsh rights are sublet to S4C.

Newer posts