TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
I was not surprised that the Ireland v Italy rugby matches were called off today by the department of health. It was a good decision to make because nobody in their right mind would ever want to go down to these matches & get caught with the virus within quite a large crowd of people. There has already been 90 people who have been tested for Coronavirus in Ireland to date. All of the tests results for those individuals came back negative so far which is a big relief for now. There have also been a number of students who went on skiing holidays or who are studying in University in Italy in towns where there was likely to be an outbreak of Coronavirus. They came back to their homes & were instructed by Irish authorities to self-isolate themselves at home as a precaution.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Which channel was scheduled to televise that fixture?
TI
TIGHazard

I believe it was ITV
TL
toby lerone 2016

I believe it was ITV

Apologies for quoting someone from DS but it's the easiest way to remember which broadcaster is covering which 6 nations match. If the country playing at home begins with a Consonant it's live on the BBC but if they begin with a vowel it's live on ITV.
BR
Brekkie
BM11 posted:
Think BBC and ITV need to prepare for the likelihood of no Euro 2020. Unlike those Matches it can't be postponed even to the Summer of 2021.

You always have to take the misery to the next step. It's like you thrive on it.

Personally I think the Irish Government have made a bad call there - it might be the right call, but they should have held off until early next week.
Charlesy and welshkid gave kudos
CO
commseng
Apologies for quoting someone from DS but it's the easiest way to remember which broadcaster is covering which 6 nations match. If the country playing at home begins with a Consonant it's live on the BBC but if they begin with a vowel it's live on ITV.

That was from a very reliable source on DS........
MA
Markymark
Guess it's basically a two hour ad on ITV for the Wilder Fury fight.

I am curious about how the deal has been worked out - all the news about it seems to be based on a single press release, which is a bit light on detail. Given the amount of BT branding and cross-promotion, I wonder if ITV are paying anything at all.

I'm also trying to think of other times that one UK broadcaster simulcast another's programming to such an extent. There was Sky Sports' coverage of the Cricket World Cup final on Channel 4 last year, and I think I vaguely remember UKTV showing the BBC News-produced two minutes silence on Armistice Day at some point in the late 2000s... any others?

I remember reading that Breakfast with Frost was shown on BBC1 and Sky News.

Yes, it was, but the Sky version was shown an hour or so later I recall, and edited down a bit
MA
Markymark
I was not surprised that the Ireland v Italy rugby matches were called off today by the department of health. It was a good decision to make because nobody in their right mind would ever want to go down to these matches & get caught with the virus within quite a large crowd of people. There has already been 90 people who have been tested for Coronavirus in Ireland to date. All of the tests results for those individuals came back negative so far which is a big relief for now. There have also been a number of students who went on skiing holidays or who are studying in University in Italy in towns where there was likely to be an outbreak of Coronavirus. They came back to their homes & were instructed by Irish authorities to self-isolate themselves at home as a precaution.

Anyway good to see the BBC fly Dan Roan to Dublin, (unticking both the carbon footprint, and the try to restrict general movement boxes in one swoop) to report on the spot about something that is not happening
DV
DVB Cornwall
An additional two FA Cup R16 matches on BBC Sport next week ...

Making six out of the eight matches being shown live
MI
Michael

Doesn't work in Welsh Wink

An additional two FA Cup R16 matches on BBC Sport next week ...

Making six out of the eight matches being shown live

Meaning only two are exclusive to gambling companies.
BR
Brekkie
I bet they'll turn up on BT. Considering previously the rights holders had 5/6 live games plus 2/3 replays it seems reasonable they'd have all 8 games between them.
ST
steveboswell
Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but Saturday sees Formula E return to BBC Two. Jennie Gow will be presenting live coverage of the Marrakesh race, in a nice mid-afternoon slot.

Newer posts