Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Amazon probably won't undercut as the £79 a year including other stuff like music and one day delivery.

They've done £59 annual Prime sub promotions in the past.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Amazon did do Prime £20 off once a while back for some reason I can't remember why, so it was available at £59.99 for the first year.

To be honest most people with Prime will only have it for the Prime Video and the free/enhanced delivery options., but you do get quite a lot for your £80 with the music, the books, the wardrobe, etc so it can be quite good value if you "milk" it.

Anyway Amazon UK's last documented profit figure was somewhere like £70m with a revenue of about £20bn. They're not short of money, the entire international Amazon operation turns over four and a half times what Disney does.
NW
nwtv2003
They offered Prime for £59 when The Grand Tour debuted in November 2016 on Prime Video, as that’s when I started my Prime subscription. I’ve never cancelled it as I’ve always paid the £79 so I don’t know if you get any discounts if you try to do so.
NJ
Last time mine ran out (August) there were no discounts, I suppose its technically a discount already as you pay £80 for 12 months as opposed to £7.99 on a month-to-month basis.
NW
nwtv2003
Interesting development regarding Sky’s current deal with Disney. This pretty much confirms no Simpsons for at least a year.

DV
DVB Cornwall
Some mega Disney corporate personnel moves announced in the US tonight. Bob Iger leaving the CEO role with immediate effect.
CI
cityprod
Some mega Disney corporate personnel moves announced in the US tonight. Bob Iger leaving the CEO role with immediate effect.

Bob Chapek is taking over as CEO, moving from heading up the Disney Parks division.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/disney-names-bob-chapek-next-ceo.html
BR
Brekkie
Anyway Amazon UK's last documented profit figure was somewhere like £70m with a revenue of about £20bn. They're not short of money, the entire international Amazon operation turns over four and a half times what Disney does.

Is it just me or isn't that quite a poor return. Or stated return at least - suspect many of the actual profits are filtered through the likes of Luxembourg.
NJ

Is it just me or isn't that quite a poor return. Or stated return at least - suspect many of the actual profits are filtered through the likes of Luxembourg.

That was the UK operation. Stated UK operation anyway. I think they funnel everything through tunnels so to speak to reduce their corporation tax bill. Most multi-national companies do this (Google puts everything through Ireland, or they used to anyway) to an extent, which fires up the Daily Mail to complain about something its not entirely clear half the readership can follow anyway - "AMAZON PAYS JUST 20p TAX ON PROFIT OF UMPTEEN BILLIONS, DENYING HUNDREDS OF NURSES FOR THE NHS" or similar.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
On a related note the new Disney Pixar film Onwards currently in the cinema starts with a Simpsons mini-episode. The opening shot is of a Mickey Mouse silhouette, which turns out to be Homer with two donuts. It also said something along the lines of "Disney welcomes The Simpsons", and Mickey's shadow was also present in the Gracie Films end cap of the mini episode.
LN
LondonNewsBites
NJ
Wonder if when films are remastered or re-released the Fox name will be removed from them too in an attempted whitewash? Hopefully not but of course it could mean the classic versions of the "20th Century Fox" sting only exists on older home media.

Course far more likely I'm overthinking this so...

Newer posts