The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
Another potential saving would be to get the 6:30pm BBC London News presenter to do the evening shift on the News Channel. Get the host of the Six to link into Sports day and the evening shift can start at 8pm.
BR
Brekkie
London has always been pretty much completely seperate from the network and news channel hasn't it, and in an ideal world it should be but certainly potential for some cross over, especially at weekends I'd have thought. I assume in the week the 6.30pm presenter also hosts either the lunchtime or late bulletin.
LL
London Lite Founding member
London has always been pretty much completely seperate from the network and news channel hasn't it, and in an ideal world it should be but certainly potential for some cross over, especially at weekends I'd have thought. I assume in the week the 6.30pm presenter also hosts either the lunchtime or late bulletin.

Yes, they have their own facilities at BH, including their own newsroom and gallery.

They share a network weather presenter with the Six on Weds-Fri however.
IS
Inspector Sands
London has always been pretty much completely seperate from the network and news channel hasn't it, and in an ideal world it should be but certainly potential for some cross over, especially at weekends I'd have thought.

Since network news moved into BH and London moved into its current studio its seperate operations have been taken away. I think they have a few of their own crews and craft editors, but everyone else is pooled with the other output.

It's production team are seperate but that's more difficult to share. It's a lot different from the past when it was a totally separate operation, and not how any other region is organised

Quote:
I assume in the week the 6.30pm presenter also hosts either the lunchtime or late bulletin.

I think like every other region the breakfast presenter does lunch and the 6:30 does late. Presenter cost savings are small compared with everything else
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 24 February 2020 7:29am - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands
Another potential saving would be to get the 6:30pm BBC London News presenter to do the evening shift on the News Channel. Get the host of the Six to link into Sports day and the evening shift can start at 8pm.

The 6:30 London presenter often does their 10:30 too. But even if it wasn't for that, it would be a heck of a shift.

They don't just rock up at 5pm, the London presenter will spend the afternoon working on the 6:30. Then at 7 they've an hour to attend the post programme debrief, have a break (which of course should be an hour) and prepare for the evening. Then finish at midnight

And they'll still need a presenter for the 10:30 London bulletin.

The major cost saving isn't cutting a few presenter shifts, it's with changes behind the scenes to how they produce the news. For every presenter there are hundreds of us working away at jobs you've probably never even heard of
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 24 February 2020 9:17pm
CL
Clouseau
I think that a large chopper is required, rather than a pair of blunt scissors, if 80 million is to be sliced from the budget!
LL
London Lite Founding member
There are other subtle ways of making cuts. South East Today for example utilises the duty weekend bulletin reader during the day to go out and VJ a report for those bulletins, edit it and then prep for the evening, which saves on hiring another reporter.

I've seen that happen on US small market local bulletins where they'll spend the day out on location, then come in and present the late bulletin for example.

KHON2 in Honolulu uses either the weather or traffic presenter to present the first 30 mins of the breakfast bulletin before doing their main task. In the case of the weather presenter, they go on to co-present the lifestyle skewed final hour, so is on-air from 4.30-10am.
SW
Steve Williams
The 6:30 London presenter often does their 10:30 too. But even if it wasn't for that, it would be a heck of a shift.

Also as well the London presenters all seem to work all over the schedule - you're just as likely to see Asad Ahmad at 6.30am as you are at 10.30pm, all the presenters are used in every available slot, so clearly they're making effective use of resources in that regard.
EX
excel99
How practical would it be for the network presenter to do some of the shorter London bulletin (say weekends), similar to how some of the shorter ITV London bulletins are presented?
AS
AlexS
How practical would it be for the network presenter to do some of the shorter London bulletin (say weekends), similar to how some of the shorter ITV London bulletins are presented?

The only ones that may be remotely practical is the weekday late bulletin. The NC returns to studio E immediately after all other network bulletins and therefore London has to come from a separate studio.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
If the will was there to do so they could schedule a Sport bulletin directly after the network bulletin for the duration of the regional opt and do BBC London from Studio E? Possibly using the Mosart feature that let them run weather on the network and the regional stuff on BBC One London from Studio A when they did the 8pm bulletin.

That might save the cost of staffing Studio D, but at the expense of reducing flexibility if there is breaking news that they would otherwise want to roll with.
AS
AlexS
If the will was there to do so they could schedule a Sport bulletin directly after the network bulletin for the duration of the regional opt and do BBC London from Studio E? Possibly using the Mosart feature that let them run weather on the network and the regional stuff on BBC One London from Studio A when they did the 8pm bulletin.

That might save the cost of staffing Studio D, but at the expense of reducing flexibility if there is breaking news that they would otherwise want to roll with.

Probably be easier to have the sports presenter read NWT and keep a London presenter than forcing a sports bulletin straight after network bulletins (especially at weekends when there is normally two sport presenters on duty for much of the evening).

Newer posts