TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
So after last night Fury v Joshua would be the fight to unify the heavyweight division, though I suspect both will look elsewhere before they look at each other. An additional complication is Fury being with BT and Joshua with Sky for their box office fights - not sure how that would be rectified without one jumping ship to the other. Be interesting though if the deal saw both able to sell it PPV and whether that might actually drive down prices.
JO
Jonwo
So after last night Fury v Joshua would be the fight to unify the heavyweight division, though I suspect both will look elsewhere before they look at each other. An additional complication is Fury being with BT and Joshua with Sky for their box office fights - not sure how that would be rectified without one jumping ship to the other. Be interesting though if the deal saw both able to sell it PPV and whether that might actually drive down prices.

A Sky/BT joint venture for a Fury/Joshua fight could be done, HBO and Showtime in the US managed to do it with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather back in 2015 and I imagine it'd be very lucrative for both companies
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

A Sky/BT joint venture for a Fury/Joshua fight could be done, HBO and Showtime in the US managed to do it with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather back in 2015 and I imagine it'd be very lucrative for both companies

So basically a joint production where they sell the programme on both services and split the revenue. I guess agreements would be in place to prevent them undercutting each other.

Would be nice if both said we don't need the money, let's go for the audience and have it FTA (and just bank the cash the Saudi's pay!) but that'll never happen.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Jonwo posted:

This weekend's fight was an ESPN/Fox co-production.
https://www.sportsvideo.org/2020/02/21/wilder-vs-fury-2-espn-fox-sports-team-up-on-outsize-boxing-production-in-vegas/
(It was still $80 for the PPV in the US)
HA
harshy Founding member
The world feed graphics were awful though looked like they resurrected a graphics machine from the mid 80s

I presume BT just fibered their feed back couldn’t see a satellite feed for it Sad
TI
TIGHazard
With the schedules having worked out last year that the BBC did all the highlights shows they're only doing the one this year, so Twickenham made sense I guess. Looking likely they'll have the Championship decider on the final day too.

ITV are using their generic sports studio for the highlights. Not sure where that is located nowadays - possibly at BT?

Won't they have two (Round 3 and Round 4)?
BR
Brekkie
No, next round ITV have both Saturday games and the BBC have the Sunday game, so highlights will be on ITV.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The IOC is now actively looking at the fate of Tokyo 2020.

One categorically saying the choices are either Go Ahead or CANCEL, there is no third suggestion of Postponement, or fourth of moving on the table.

BK
bkman1990
Just on The 6 Nations rugby. Ireland's next match against Italy in Dublin could be a threat from Coronavirus according to the Irish Minister for Health Simon Harris. Ireland's Department of Health, via the Minister for Health, have said yesterday that the match has been put under review for the moment. Although it has not been cancelled for now. There may be more detailed plans from the Irish government soon to ban mass gatherings in Ireland to lower the potential spread of Covid-19 in future.

https://extra.ie/2020/02/24/sport/rugby/ireland-italy-coronavirus
BR
Brekkie
The IOC is now actively looking at the fate of Tokyo 2020.

One categorically saying the choices are either Go Ahead or CANCEL, there is no third suggestion of Postponement, or fourth of moving on the table.

Didn't we have all this last time with the Zika Virus?
CO
commseng
Just on The 6 Nations rugby. Ireland's next match against Italy in Dublin could be a threat from Coronavirus according to the Irish Minister for Health Simon Harris. Ireland's Department of Health, via the Minister for Health, have said yesterday that the match has been put under review for the moment. Although it has not been cancelled for now. There may be more detailed plans from the Irish government soon to ban mass gatherings in Ireland to lower the potential spread of Covid-19 in future.

https://extra.ie/2020/02/24/sport/rugby/ireland-italy-coronavirus

I wonder if it could be like the 2001 Foot and Mouth outbreak which lead to the Ireland games being postponed until October?
PE
peterrocket Founding member
They're just taking issue with the Italian part of it, given how it's spreading there.

IRFU aren't that impressed according to RTÉ and want an urgent meeting. Though you can see their justification given the number of Italian fans that would be travelling over for the match. Ultimately the council could not grant the events license for the match to go ahead or could bar any spectators on safety grounds - advisory groups allow that sort of thing to happen.

More interesting is how this may affect other events coming up, aside from the Olympics, you've also smaller events like F1 and to a lesser extent the Tour De France which passes close to northern Italy.

Newer posts