TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
Work out a way to sync up the on screen clock to show the correct time via the four ( DTT, DSat, Dcable & IPlayer) different digital transmission systems, with all the digital encoding and decoding that takes, and I'm all for the return of the clock as we head into the six and ten.
TE
Technologist
But the invision clock never showed the right time ......
It was always half a second fast so you saw it second hand vertical
just before you / the automation cut away At h0:00:00:00.

On the other end there is no specification for how long a decode takes
The Presentation Time Stamp just ensures all components are synchronised.
JO
Josh
Work out a way to sync up the on screen clock to show the correct time via the four (DTT, DSat, Dcable & IPlayer) different digital transmission systems, with all the digital encoding and decoding that takes, and I'm all for the return of the clock as we head into the six and ten.

It could possibly use the same system as BBC Scotland use with the Nine/Seven
DO
dosxuk
Josh posted:
Work out a way to sync up the on screen clock to show the correct time via the four (DTT, DSat, Dcable & IPlayer) different digital transmission systems, with all the digital encoding and decoding that takes, and I'm all for the return of the clock as we head into the six and ten.

It could possibly use the same system as BBC Scotland use with the Nine/Seven

The "Don't give a fig" system?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There is an argument that if Radio 4 can broadcast the pips without anybody caring that they're a few seconds out on DAB, BBC One can use a clock.

And there is certainly an argument that a silent clock would be a much more dignified and authoritative way of getting into the news than some of the current batch of idents.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
People moan on Twitter that the clock is an hour out on GMB, so it's probably going to follow that they'll complain that the BBC clock going into the news is eight seconds out (or whatever). However I think IIRC the reason for getting rid of the clock in the first place was because of the delays in the encoding.

Anyway the target audience decides the level of complaint, nobody cares that the Radio 4 pips are behind, much like nobody cares that Channel 4's target audience don't need to have it rammed down their throat that they're watching +1 and they probably shouldn't phone that number... Yet on ITV and BBC One we have big disclaimers that basically say "For God's Sake, this is on demand, please don't be an idiot and phone the numbers anyway".
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I've always felt that the excuse of the digital delay for dropping the clock is a red herring - as already mentioned, it hasn't stopped the broadcast of the Greenwich Time Signal on BBC Radio. I think the reason we no longer have a silently ticking clock is the same reason we no longer have a silently rotating globe, or static programme slides - it's viewed as an outdated presentation device. 'Authoritative and dignified' is not what they're after when it comes to modern television presentation.

Not that the current Oneness idents are any more appropriate for introducing the news, but then the only place they're appropriate for is the bin...
TE
Technologist
But radio is also emitted in analogue form ....... so no cider there.
It gets to the transmitters over NiCAM.. near instantaneous.....
all be it now E1 over IP which does add say 100 ms delay ..

But I do tend to agree that clocks are not modern presentation “friendliness “
SP
Spencer
Sure, a slient clock with a static background might not look very modern these days, but I'm sure with a bit of creativity, someone could come up with something that doesn't look outdated.

Nobody seems to think the BBC News Channel countdowns are outdated, and that's essentially a clock of sorts. Channel 4 also has abstract clock idents into the news which look pretty good to me.
AS
Asa Admin
When we’ve got a bunch of boxers introducing Breakfast, as was the case this morning, there’s absolutely no hope of returning to something as dignified and appropriate as a clock.

Digital delay is a rubbish excuse - BBC Scotland, any news channel with a clock, Big Ben striking midnight at New Year... there’s enough examples where it just isn’t an issue.
CH
chris
It’s been discussed at length since 2002 - of course the digital delay is the PR spin.

A clock in its old form, yes, will look dated. But something akin to C4 or BBC Scotland can look good.
JO
Josh
You might want to have a watch of this if you're a fan (or even if you're not) of Oneness and maybe an old pres set! Wink
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fmkr/age-of-outrage

Newer posts