The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 16th July onwards

Split from BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando

On the contrary, I think the show has suffered a lot from the move, and gained little out of it. It was always a token move, and it has never come across as being any more than that really. It feels small scale, where as previous versions have felt larger. As many problems as I have had with Good Morning Britain whilst Piers Morgan has been a host, the show does feel like a bigger deal than Breakfast.

Heck, even the Channel 4 Daily which used multiple small sets for their output felt like a bigger deal than Breakfast does now.

You don't have to have the biggest, brashest set with controversial presenters to have the largest share at breakfast. Breakfast does this seven days a week without having any of those qualities. People tune into Breakfast for a quick digest of news with friendly, relatable presenters who don't go out of the way to be anything more than providing a public service.

October sees Breakfast celebrate 20 years with this format, an outstanding acheivement that has seen off GMTV and Daybreak and has been on-air longer than Breakfast Time and Breakfast News. It's survived the move to Salford and will continue to be the default tv show for those who use the show as part of their morning routine before going to work/school run etc.

The Piers Morgan Show (also known as Good Morning Britain) will of course have their fans, but is a different vehicle altogether.

Yes. I think if either programme was axed, the audience level for the remaining show wouldn't dramatically increase. Let's not forget the audience for TV at that time in the morning is dwarfed by radio. BBC Breakfast vs GMB is more like Waitrose vs Co-op than Sainsburys vs Tesco

Radio audience is measured by weakly reach not daily average audience like tv is. On reach Breakfast and Daybreak have 10m and 6m respectively across the week.
MA
Markymark
Cando posted:

You don't have to have the biggest, brashest set with controversial presenters to have the largest share at breakfast. Breakfast does this seven days a week without having any of those qualities. People tune into Breakfast for a quick digest of news with friendly, relatable presenters who don't go out of the way to be anything more than providing a public service.

October sees Breakfast celebrate 20 years with this format, an outstanding acheivement that has seen off GMTV and Daybreak and has been on-air longer than Breakfast Time and Breakfast News. It's survived the move to Salford and will continue to be the default tv show for those who use the show as part of their morning routine before going to work/school run etc.

The Piers Morgan Show (also known as Good Morning Britain) will of course have their fans, but is a different vehicle altogether.

Yes. I think if either programme was axed, the audience level for the remaining show wouldn't dramatically increase. Let's not forget the audience for TV at that time in the morning is dwarfed by radio. BBC Breakfast vs GMB is more like Waitrose vs Co-op than Sainsburys vs Tesco

Radio audience is measured by weakly reach not daily average audience like tv is. On reach Breakfast and Daybreak have 10m and 6m respectively across the week.

Right, and radio's is ?..............
WH
what
Cando posted:

Zoe Ball on Radio 2 gets around 8.2m weekly reach, while Heart Breakfast gets around 4.2m weekly.
MA
Markymark
what posted:
Cando posted:

Zoe Ball on Radio 2 gets around 8.2m weekly reach, while Heart Breakfast gets around 4.2m weekly.

Yes, fine, but what's the total reach for all radio, compared against the total reach for all TV ?
MI
m_in_m
I've noticed an increasing use of split screen shots on BBC Breakfast for talking to remote contributors. It isn't entirely but feels more frequent than previously.
CH
chris
I've noticed an increasing use of split screen shots on BBC Breakfast for talking to remote contributors. It isn't entirely but feels more frequent than previously.

Much neater than turning awkwardly to those screens.
ST
Stuart
Awww. How nice of them to name check the dog this morning . . . Very Happy
BA
bilky asko

Quite an important part of the story - and quite useful, for example, to find the associated Twitter account (many guide dogs have their own accounts or are named jointly in the accounts of those who they assist).
BR
Brekkie

The BBC have history here.
CH
chris
Yes and it’s getting a little tiring. Rolling Eyes
HA
harshy Founding member
I wasn't meaning to sound offensive. I just meant the programme shouldn't be so in your face about the fact it's now based in the North.

I mean, it is quite offensive isn't it.

A whole plank of the BBC's (much needed) approach has been to move out of London. Arguably there has never been a more important time to stress the regional strengths of the BBC. Having a major media centre in the North is an asset that should be shouted about more, if you ask me.

I guess it gives people like me hope I can get a job in the media I guess.
ST
Stuart
I still recall David Dimbleby's iPhone telling him it was "time for bed" last year during Question Time, but I thought that the general rule was that audible media was not allowed when broadcasting unless absolutely necessary.

Tomasz Schafernaker suffered a similar faux pas during his forecast on BBC Breakfast this morning. He even admitted it wasn't the first time this had happened. It gives a whole new meaning to 'Weather Watch'. Very Happy
watchingtv and Custard56 gave kudos

Newer posts