TV Home Forum

The end of Lottery updates on BBC One

Split from BBC Oneness adds a bit of hot air (February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MK
Mr Kite
Of course, virtually everyone can now find out instantly what the latest numbers are with a couple of taps of their smartphone.

Seems another world now: the days when the BBC dedicated an hour long Saturday show where the climax was the lottery draw.

Felt even more weird on ITV where they had a dedicated news bulletin, complete with angry ITN music.
AS
Asa Admin
Yeah, didn't they flash up the numbers during Blind Date that first Saturday, then regular short bulletins during an advert break after that? Feels like a lifetime ago. The days when Sky One and News 24 would get in on the act. Strangely does feel a bit like an end of an era.

I hadn't realised the BBC Lottery website had already been mothballed too.

Mr Kite and itvblocks gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
I didn’t realise that either, so bbc.co.uk/lottery that they still advertise on the TV, is just a single page with links to the official website now.
DV
dvboy
Asa posted:
Yeah, didn't they flash up the numbers during Blind Date that first Saturday, then regular short bulletins during an advert break after that? Feels like a lifetime ago.

ITN didn't even put them in numerical order.

JO
Jon
Is that because at one stage they put numbers as they were drawn? I certainly remember seeing that on teletext which had a page which took up just a couple of lines of the screen so you could watch your programme at the same time. It would update as numbers were drawn iirc it would read as “22 19 ?? ?? ?? ?? BB ??. Hardly seemed worth updating them live rather than just waiting 30 seconds.
GB
Gary Baldy
I think ITV needs to start doing what BBC did and that's a National Lottery show.

They could even put it on now that ITV has all this free space now.

Yep, with Mulhern hosting, as he does the voiceover for the ads.
JO
Jon
I think ITV needs to start doing what BBC did and that's a National Lottery show.

They could even put it on now that ITV has all this free space now.

Yep, with Mulhern hosting, as he does the voiceover for the ads.

Again why though? And on what basis it would it work?
JK
JKDerry
Amazing at how far we have come with the lottery since 1994, it is simply not cared for by any broadcaster really.

Ireland have treated their national lottery in a far better way over the years. RTE One air their Wednesday and Saturday draws each week without any fuss or big name show to go with it - just a five minute simple programme from Studio 2 at RTE in Dublin with one presenter and three draw machines to cover their three draws made. Simple - why couldn't the BBC cope with that?

Ireland also has not gone the way of multiple game shows to go with the lottery draws which the BBC had done - Ireland had "Winning Streak" a simple format airing once a week from September until May since 1990. RTE did used to produce various summer replacements for it, but gave that up a few years a go.

From an Irish perspective, it does seem that Ireland actually cares and enjoys playing their lottery, ever since it started in 1988, whereas the British had found the novelty of the lottery wearing away as each year passed.
JO
Joe
No idea how it’s been treated ‘badly’ or why we need to respect it somehow. It’s a gambling competition.
JA
james-2001
If the interest was there, we'd still have full on shows based around the draws and the results popping up on multiple channels. The fact we don't says it all.
JK
JKDerry
Joe posted:
No idea how it’s been treated ‘badly’ or why we need to respect it somehow. It’s a gambling competition.

A national lottery where a good portion goes to good causes and has provided millions of pounds of money to charities who would have not received a penny from 1994 onward, that is why it was reasonably respected by some.
BR
Brekkie
Josh posted:
The problem with ITV is that they only do the Saturday update and BBC does every draw (Tues, Fri, Sat) from what I know. ITV have the capability to release the results in-house as seen with the Rugby World Cup lineups.

I've seen them on Wednesday nights too.

If ITV did a lottery show it would almost certainly be advertiser funded, so paid for by Camelot. Could actually be a benefit to them in the autumn now with so many hours to fill.

Newer posts