TV Home Forum

EastEnders

Kate Oates joins as Exec Producer (June 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
No.
BR
Brekkie
Is it another LIVE week??

No. EastEnders has been dead for some time.
SC
Si-Co
Is it another LIVE week??

No. EastEnders has been dead for some time.

Harsh, but a little bit fair. šŸ˜œ

The programmeā€™s obsession with gangster-type plots and market stall-holders being hired as hitmen ruins it for me. The character of Phil Mitchell should have gone years ago. Apparently Steve McFadden broke contract and refused to appear for several months because he didnā€™t agree with plans to ā€œhumaniseā€ Phil and tone down the gangster image after the character nearly died from liver failure in 2016. So they let him have his way at the expense of the show, IMO.
BR
Brekkie
Agree - just seeing the promo pics for whats happening this week and it's same old same old all built around a character that isn't that great.

I've barely watched more than a single episode in any year for some time but to me it's the old cast which is holding EastEnders back. The newer characters seem more interesting and generally better cast and better actors, whilst the likes of the Mitchells and Slaters are just going around in circle.
what and davidhorman gave kudos
JA
james-2001
First appearance of the "big" BBC logo at the end of the credits on today's first episode (22/9/92).
JA
james-2001
I notice the boat in tonight's episode was called the "Smith-Holland", nice touch.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I may be 30 years late to the party here, but is it a coincidence that the font used for the EastEnders credits is almost identical to that used on the COW globe (which launched on the same day) for the BBC1 legend and region name etc? The only significant difference is that the U has a down tail on the COW.
SC
Si-Co
I notice the boat in tonight's episode was called the "Smith-Holland", nice touch.

Also, the captain is called Matthew Cox (a nod to Reg Cox, who was found near to death in the first episode). Nice to see original characters like Den and Angie getting mentioned, without the conversations feeling too convoluted.

Those night-time credits are really beautiful, and the text is much easier to read than normal on that background. Are these the same credits that were used in the 2015 flashback episode, as I donā€™t recall those ones being so striking? I remember watching that episode with a friend, who thought something was wrong with her telly!
Last edited by Si-Co on 19 February 2020 12:48pm
DA
davidhorman
Si-Co posted:
Are these the same credits that were used in the 2015 flashback episode, as I donā€™t recall those ones being so striking?

The opening titles are almost identical but the "BBC" blocks are a slightly different aspect ratio and there may be some changes to colouring, but it's hard to tell and that may just be down to how the 2015 one was captured.

I haven't seen any examples of the 2015 end credits, but the 2020 end credits have more lights and different shading to the buildings to the 2020 titles.
BM
BM11
Si-Co posted:

Also, the captain is called Matthew Cox (a nod to Reg Cox, who was found near to death in the first episode. Nice to see original characters like Den and Angie getting mentioned, without the conversations feeling too convoluted.

Those night-time credits are really beautiful, and the text is much easier to read than normal on that background. Are these the same credits that were used in the 2015 flashback episode, as I donā€™t recall those ones being so striking? I remember watching that episode with a friend, who thought something was wrong with her telly!

I can see either Captain Cox dying or Dotty saving him - both further nods to Reg Cox.
RN
Rolling News
Tonight at 11.20pm BBC Four are showing the hour long episode from Bonfire Night 2000, the reveal of Pat and Frank's affair.
DJ Dave and Custard56 gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Tonight at 11.20pm BBC Four are showing the hour long episode from Bonfire Night 2000, the reveal of Pat and Frank's affair.

Interesting how many of the characters in that episode are dead. Frank, Peggy, Pat, Roy, Barry, Steven, Lucy, Jim, Mel, Charlie, Laura, Jamie. Albert Square really doesn't have a good life expectancy.
Last edited by james-2001 on 20 February 2020 12:32am
DJ Dave and Custard56 gave kudos

Newer posts