TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
You beat me to it, here is the story:
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/features/coldfield/02.shtml
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Johnr posted:
I noticed when it came back on Nicky was just in the middle of carrying on as usual as if nothing had happened, as if he wasn’t aware they had been broadcasting to nobody for the previous 10 minutes!

Yes - you usually carry on as normal for many reasons. These include not knowing whether you are off-air everywhere, not knowing when you will be cut back to, ensuring you have a recording to go up on iPlayer after transmission etc.

Point of order:
If a live programme falls off the air and the iPlayer copy is an off-air "recording", should it be on there as transmitted, fault and all, or does the system have access to a direct copy including the part of the programme that didn't go out?

Of course I suppose it depends on where in the chain the fault occurred. If it fell over between source and broadcasting, that's different to if it fell over before it left the source in the first place, or if the breakdown occurred because the power went out at the source, you can't record what you don't receive!

If things haven't changed much over the last few years, then in the first instance a live programme on iPlayer will be recorded from the channel output, but just like anything else on iPlayer they can be taken down and/or replaced with a new version. So if productions are able to provide a replacement copy, then this can go up instead.

Same sort of thing would happen if, say, someone swore on The One Show. They'd be able to prevent the episode from going up on and then they could make a re-edit for iPlayer.
NG
noggin Founding member
Johnr posted:
I noticed when it came back on Nicky was just in the middle of carrying on as usual as if nothing had happened, as if he wasn’t aware they had been broadcasting to nobody for the previous 10 minutes!

Yes - you usually carry on as normal for many reasons. These include not knowing whether you are off-air everywhere, not knowing when you will be cut back to, ensuring you have a recording to go up on iPlayer after transmission etc.

Point of order:
If a live programme falls off the air and the iPlayer copy is an off-air "recording", should it be on there as transmitted, fault and all, or does the system have access to a direct copy including the part of the programme that didn't go out?

Initially the show on iPlayer will be recorded from the channel feed (in fact I think it uses the iPlayer live channel encoding, just using the chunks that were created for that show, which is why the in- and the out- are sometimes a bit ragged) - so will include the breakdown caption etc. However the iPlayer system allows for replacement of these recordings with a new copy of the show (whether this is for compliance reasons or for rights reasons) so it's entirely possible to do that.

Quote:

Of course I suppose it depends on where in the chain the fault occurred. If it fell over between source and broadcasting, that's different to if it fell over before it left the source in the first place, or if the breakdown occurred because the power went out at the source, you can't record what you don't receive!

All live BBC shows are expected to make their archive recordings of shows upstream of any final compressed link to BBC One/Two/Four (i.e. OB-based shows record their archive copies on-site not downstream of their link) to avoid the archive copy having compression artefacts. As a result any link failure on a final backhaul contribution circuit shouldn't affect the local recording. There are exceptions to this rule (if you use an uncompressed fibre circuit for instance) - but not many.
Last edited by noggin on 11 February 2020 9:15am
JO
Johnr
iPlayer got updated with the 'non broadcast' version and a caption explaining so

Quote:
A section of this programme suffered a loss of sound and picture during broadcast due to adverse weather. We apologise for the disruption to the broadcast: the programme is now available on iPlayer with the missing section restored.
RO
robertclark125
Australia's Channel 9 has put up a video on their youtube channel, with todays announcement in Melbourne, that GM are to close their Holden operations in Australia and New Zealnad. Holden has not produced vehicles in Australia since 2017, the vehicles coming from Germany, but now Holden production will cease entirely. At about 14:22, the video of the press conference, which was presumabely going out live on 9News, had a small break in transmission.

CU
Curto21
Just to let you all know there where slight picture problems during one of the matches at the Snooker Shoot-Out.

RK
Rkolsen
It does have a bit of a history of falling off air but it's all cost versus risk. How high profile/important is the programme and is it worth spending more of the (presumably low) budget on getting it to air?

I'd imagine the cost or logistics of using one of the studios at Salford at fairly short notice would be enough to prevent it happening. The BBC don't have any suitable there

If it was a live Question Time it would be belt and braces, but it's a little watched religious affairs programme

Has the BBC or any other broadcaster in the UK decided to try using a CNG as a link backup? ESPN on some lower profile events where there may not be fiber connectivity and only one satellite uplink deploy TVU connected via cellular networks and the facilities ethernet network. The broadcasters in the UK likely have dozens of them and sparing a backpack or two for certain OB productions could be done and a cheap way (as they’re likely paying for data service already) to provide resiliency.
FO
FanOfTV99

The one thing about this breakdown is the fact Carlton used the generic ITV breakdown slide and not their own one (if they even have their own slide).
RK
Rkolsen
This wasn’t so much an individual channel breakdown but rather a pool feed. Today was the memorial service for Kobe Bryant and many networks carried it live - ESPN, NBA TV, Fox Sports, CNN, MSNBC, BET and others. Towards the end of the service while Michael Jordan was speaking the picture started to break up on the pool feed. Eventually most stations put up a slide as the picture was incredibly pixelated while the audio continued, eventually it all broke up and the networks had to go to reporters for about three minutes while the satellite feed was down. Other TV stations that were streaming it online either put up a graphic of Kobe Bryant or a tag board of various tweets.
Interestingly the newspapers and online media outlets that were live streaming the event on Facebook and YouTube did not have any issues. I assume they must have provided an online stream for those outlets, where TV stations had to rely on the satellite feed.

As far as I know all the LA stations carried the coverage locally.

The only one I managed to capture live was the blue screen from Telemundo 52/KVEA. The rest I looked on network and affiliate streams and found this.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 25 February 2020 3:40am
CO
commseng
Good to see that the Ericsson RX8200 satellite receivers are in use around the world.
I know that blue screen well......
GE
thegeek Founding member
Good to see that the Ericsson RX8200 satellite receivers are in use around the world.

there's a good reason we have ours set to go to black on loss of signal!
HA
harshy Founding member

I’d love to have that satellite receiver with a working ns4 demodulator Wink

Newer posts