« Topics
all new Phil3,545 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
Social media just makes things worse by giving these knuckle-head F***wits the power to be evil.

I think you (and others) are oversimplifying things. It’s easy to say it’s trolls on social media, but who are these “trolls”? It’s people commenting on things, probably pretty innocently in most cases.

Look on Twitter when The Chase is on. It trends every day, and it’s full of people commenting on the contestants, saying how silly they are for not knowing an answer etc. It’s probably without much malice, but shows are actively encouraging this (how many shows flash up a hashtag at particular moments?). Love Island is probably the biggest for tweet-along viewers.
I love lamp
Ne1L C1,656 posts since 11 Sep 2011
Social media just makes things worse by giving these knuckle-head F***wits the power to be evil.

I think you (and others) are oversimplifying things. It’s easy to say it’s trolls on social media, but who are these “trolls”? It’s people commenting on things, probably pretty innocently in most cases.

Look on Twitter when The Chase is on. It trends every day, and it’s full of people commenting on the contestants, saying how silly they are for not knowing an answer etc. It’s probably without much malice, but shows are actively encouraging this (how many shows flash up a hashtag at particular moments?). Love Island is probably the biggest for tweet-along viewers.

I know that 98% of users aren't trolls but its the 2% that let the rest down
London Lite11,298 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
A lot of people really need to go back and look at their own needlessly OTT comments they've made on here about Victoria Derbyshire & Carrie Grace, among others, before they do any more pious soap boxing about trolls, media and mental health. You can't blame Love Island for the increasingly vitriolic sh!te that get's posted on here sometimes which is pretty much always aimed at women Rolling Eyes

I think it’s important to say there is a difference critiquing someone’s presenting style or voicing a differing on an issue and just being nasty and bullying behaviour.

That's the key here, I'd like to think that people can tell the difference between critique and nastiness. What you read on here on the whole is thought out about certain formats and presenters, while the stuff on Twitter is usually posted in spite.
Ne1L C1,656 posts since 11 Sep 2011
I like to think that we've got the intelligence and the wherewithall to be able to criticise without slipping into c***ery!
London Lite, Colorman and Brekkie gave kudos
harshy6,448 posts since 24 Mar 2001 Recently warned

Don’t usually visit Twitter but there’s some really bad people out there, I can’t believe there are people out there who are nasty even after death, shocking Sad
Sh1ruba gave kudos