The Newsroom

The Times’ Radio Station after “BBC News Stars”

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
I wonder if we’ll see any departures from BBC News (and other outlets) to this venture:

Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 15 February 2020 12:15pm
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm sure Alistair Stewart will end up on it. As for people from BBC News, possibly, but it'd be a bit of a risky love. Even though they might get a lot more money they'll also end up with a fraction of the audience and less options for doing different things (unless they go freelance)
CO
commseng
I'm sure Alistair Stewart will end up on it. As for people from BBC News, possibly, but it'd be a bit of a risky love. Even though they might get a lot more money they'll also end up with a fraction of the audience and less options for doing different things (unless they go freelance)

A risky love for sure!
I would also imagine that they'd be thinking of long term career prospects.
If News UK change their mind in a couple of years, could funding for this radio station suddenly disappear?
Not that the BBC is immune to that of course.....
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
If it's truely connected to the 'Dark Lord' I would personally give it a wide berth on principle. Anyone remember the phone hacking?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Realistically they'll be lucky to get anyone to defect from BBC News/R4/5 Live, they may acquire one if they're being made redundant.

At best, they'll get presenters who work in print already with multimedia experience or presenters who are at LBC or BBC local radio.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
You've also got to wonder what is the reasoning behind why some staff confirm that they've been approached.

Sounds to me like an indirect way of asking for a pay rise, if a little indiscreet.
IS
Inspector Sands

If News UK change their mind in a couple of years, could funding for this radio station suddenly disappear?

Of course, like any other commercial venture if it doesn't work then it will close. But News UK have big pockets, look at how much they paid for Chris Evans.

Talk Sport is their only really successful station (and the only one on analogue) Virgin does well but it's only really Evans that props up its ratings. Talk Radio has been slow to grow. They're in it for the long game I think

If it's truely connected to the 'Dark Lord' I would personally give it a wide berth on principle. Anyone remember the phone hacking?

Not just that, Colin Murray left Talk Sport as soon as it was bought by News UK because of Hillsborough

Phone hacking hasn't gone away of course, its just now the Mirror papers rather than News UK that's getting the heat
LL
London Lite Founding member

Talk Sport is their only really successful station (and the only one on analogue) Virgin does well but it's only really Evans that props up its ratings. Talk Radio has been slow to grow. They're in it for the long game I think

You'd think with the rather lacklustre ratings for the Talk Radio DAB station that Times would replace this? But it appears they want radio stations that represent the demographics of their two main titles.

Times Radio/The Times - ABC1
Talk Radio/The Sun - C2DE
Jeffmister, bilky asko and BBI45 gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
There was talk of Talk Radio being renamed/relaunched. It could be that that was because they were thinking of launching The Times Radio. Although I imagine if its a success they could follow it up with a The Sun Radio... though that had been tried before
SP
Spencer
I guess more will be revealed about Times Radio as we near its launch. But so far, I’m wondering what its USP is, and what niche it hopes to fill.

Currently it just sounds like it’s going to be a poor man’s Radio 4. If it’s R4’s audience they’re going after, they’ll need to give people a good reason to make the switch. Clearly in the case of Virgin, Chris Evans was a big enough draw to attract a reasonable audience. But I can’t imagine many R4 listeners tune in because of its personalities, so poaching presenters isn’t likely to lead a big exodus of listeners to Times Radio.

I’ll be interested to see how it fares.
MA
Markymark
If it's truely connected to the 'Dark Lord' I would personally give it a wide berth on principle.

The Dark Lord ? No, he's joining Bauer's GHR shortly Cool
London Lite and Hatton Cross gave kudos
TC
TCOTV
Oh no they want to steal Nick Robinson. This is so sad. I can't believe they want to take him from the BBC. What will I do now. What will the BBC do now. This is shocking news. Things will never be the same again. There is no point in the BBC keeping Radio 4 now. I am crying so much about this news. I think I need a sit down.

Rolling Eyes

Newer posts