TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
There's a tribute to Gary Rhodes coming up at 11:40am this morning, which includes footage from his final tv series which was being recorded at the time of his death.
SC
Score
What Would Your Kid Do is another entertainment show added to the scrapheap. They probably weren’t all axed in such quick succession, but news of the axe of WWYKD, Through The Keyhole, Alien Fun Capsule, Take Me Out and This Time Next Year along with X Factor’s rest have all come within a few weeks. Definitely feels like a clear out.
BR
Brekkie
The midweek entertainment slate was obviously sacrificed for the extra Corrie and 18 months later they've burnt all those episodes off.

As for weekends after years and years of people saying they want something different on Saturday nights let's see how viewers respond come the autumn. Wonder actually if one format sticks for Alan Carr in the epic game show if a full series could follow quite swiftly - it's clearly a collection of pilots for him.
TV
iloveTV1
Looks like ITV are no longer settling for 2-3m. The problem is that in the past two years in Autumn they’re not using as much new content. This has resulted in more stuff being piled up and inevitably, some needs to go.

ITV should stick at formats like WWYKD, see if it would’ve grown on a Saturday.
SC
Score
The midweek entertainment slate was obviously sacrificed for the extra Corrie and 18 months later they've burnt all those episodes off.

As for weekends after years and years of people saying they want something different on Saturday nights let's see how viewers respond come the autumn. Wonder actually if one format sticks for Alan Carr in the epic game show if a full series could follow quite swiftly - it's clearly a collection of pilots for him.

What Would Your Kid Do wasn’t actually commissioned until after the extra Corrie started and didn’t air until February 2018, so not sure Corrie can be blamed here. The first series aired on Tuesdays and did OK but the move to Sunday didn’t go especially well for series 2. I think the aim was to grow it but it ended up going backwards. Same thing happened to Little Big Shots (which did lose its slot to Corrie) although that didn’t do very well on Wednesdays anyway and it was a surprise to see it get a second series at all. They did try a few of the midweek shows on Tuesdays but seem to have largely stopped showing Tuesday entertainment now.

Epic Gameshow definitely seems like a string of pilots and I think they’ll be disappointed if they don’t get a series for Carr out of one of them. It might even be that if Epic Gameshow goes well they end up commissioning one of the shows as a series but also continuing with the Epic Gameshow series, with some new shows coming in for the second series and some titles just appearing once a year as part of Epic Gameshow.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, that's what Gameshow Marathon did. Family Fortunes, The Price is Right, Bullseye, Mr and Mrs and Blockbusters all got revived.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, that's what Gameshow Marathon did. Family Fortunes, The Price is Right, Bullseye, Mr and Mrs and Blockbusters all got revived.

Unfortunately not all of them (save for Family Fortunes, PiR and Mr & Mrs)) were revived on ITV - Blockbusters and Bullseye went to Challenge, and the former was revived again four years later on another network.

To be honest I'm surprised Play Your Cards Right wasn't revived last time round, though it's been revived many times over in the US, don't quite seem to know whether they want it or not, but like many American formats of the 1980s it was more successful over here.

I'll be interested to see whether Alan Carr can salvage Strike It Lucky, because it was demonstrated with Michael Barrymore that the entire format is, well, crap really and the only thing that let the show run for 15 years or whatever it was the genial (and popular at the time) host and the eccentric contestants. Otherwise it could have been a completely different story.
GO
gottago

To be honest I'm surprised Play Your Cards Right wasn't revived last time round, though it's been revived many times over in the US, don't quite seem to know whether they want it or not, but like many American formats of the 1980s it was more successful over here.

I think I've said it on here before but it's worth repeating. There was a quite good non-TX Cards pilot with Vernon in the early 2010s but it happened at the height of the Gambling Commission looking into shows with little skill like Deal or No Deal. Cards was way too gambley for ITV to risk at such a sensitive time so they didn't proceed with it.

Cards was also the non TX pilot for Epic Gameshow.
FA
fanoftv

These would’ve been the titles to the Vernon Kay version, very nice they are too. The description says that the pilot flopped, however gottago’s explanation makes more sense.

Where is Vernon Kay these days? The last things I remember him doing involved a radio show on Radio X when that launched and the brilliant daytime series ‘1000 heartbeats’.
HC
Hatton Cross
Vernon is the main world feed presenter for Formula E coverage.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Score posted:
How anyone likes that character just beggers belief.

I wonder if Through the Keyhole will be returning? There's normally a Christmas special followed by a series in January, but that hasn't happened this year.

According to Keith Lemon on Twitter Through The Keyhole has been “rested”, so isn’t coming back.

Not that surprising, the ratings weren’t great last year. Plus with Catchphrase, The Masked Singer and The Voice ITV have probably already spent more than they were spending on Saturdays this time last year so don’t need it or have room for it.

Rested now pretty much meaning axed...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/16/keith-lemons-keyhole-axed-six-series-itv-12248790/https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/16/keith-lemons-keyhole-axed-six-series-itv-12248790/
BR
Brekkie
Cold Feet is the latest show to be rested, though seems like a creative decision rather than ITV swinging the axe.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30960720/cold-feet-series-10-future-itv/

Newer posts