« Topics
excel991,504 posts since 3 Jan 2009
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Eurosport or nowhere I imagine. Other than the Fiamond League meetings most of their events are low down the pecking order now - the British Champs tend to be more of a red button affair now.

I think there are only four or five events part of the deal:

The London Diamond League
The Birmingham Diamond League (in Gateshead this year due to stadium redevelopment)
The British Outdoor Championships
The British Indoor Grand Prix
and maybe the British Indoor Championships (I say maybe as these were dropped by the BBC for a while and one year ended up on Channel 4 around a decade ago)

The two Diamond League meets and the Indoor Grand Prix get BBC1/2 coverage. The Outdoor Championships usually get some BBC1/2 coverage. Last year the Saturday of the outdoor championships was on the red button and Sunday on BBC2 - understandable though due to as many finals as possible being on the Sunday. The Indoor Championships last year were on the BBC Sport website, with non-BBC Sport graphics and unfamiliar commentators; I presume 3rd party produced coverage

If ratings are an issue though, then unless it's a new thing, last August the BBC put the rather low profile European Team Championships , with very few big names competing, on BBC2 for I think nine hours in total over two days. As much as it was great for athletics fans, it seems rather odd to give such extensive coverage of a relatively minor event if athletics is struggling for popularity

Hopefully the BBC and UK Athletics agree a new deal. The BBC's coverage is excellent, and it's excellent for the sport to be getting the exposure the BBC gives it
www.airhumberside.cjb.net
dvboy10,036 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
Tennis:

Great Britain's Fed Cup tie against Mexico in April is likely to end up on the BBC Red Button again, as "broadcaster of last resort". I heard they paid little if nothing for the tie against Slovakia last weekend. An away tie in Mexico is not great timezone-wise and the play-offs are being played in the same week as the finals in Budapest.

Speaking of sports events that were cancelled (previous page), last October's Hong Kong Open on the WTA Tour was postponed due to the protests there. No tour events have been affected by the coronavirus outbreak yet, the biggest casualties have been 3rd- and 4th-tier Challenger and ITF events.

A WTA tour event in Hungary (due to be played next week) was cancelled due to an organising cock-up.
Hello, good evening, and remain indoors.
Brekkie33,951 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Eurosport or nowhere I imagine. Other than the Diamond League meetings most of their events are low down the pecking order now - the British Champs tend to be more of a red button affair now.

I think there are only four or five events part of the deal:

The London Diamond League
The Birmingham Diamond League (in Gateshead this year due to stadium redevelopment)
The British Outdoor Championships
The British Indoor Grand Prix
and maybe the British Indoor Championships (I say maybe as these were dropped by the BBC for a while and one year ended up on Channel 4 around a decade ago)

Surprising really Britain has retained two Diamond League events. Nice for Gateshead to get an outing - 20 years or so ago you'd have annual outdoor meetings in Crystal Palace, Gateshead, Sheffield, Glasgow and Birmingham (the latter usually the AAA Champs) and indoor events in Birmingham and Glasgow, many of which have become lower profile over the years. I've never been a huge fan of the supersized Diamond League which I think now has 14 events - athletics used to be more interesting when you had 6-8 flagship events in the Golden League and then some interesting second tier events around Europe where I think the British events came into play.

In it's current state though British Athletics needs free to air coverage more than FTA needs athletics. At the moment a Quest/Eurosport deal might be the best they can hope for - but there is a danger they could end up following the BDO route to obscurity if they overstate their own importance.
Stay Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.
Bail3,762 posts since 30 Mar 2001 Moderator
Meridian (South) South Today
With the news that a village in Vietnam is in lockdown over the virus the Vietnamese grand prix looks in real danger as well.

BM11... you have more warnings and temporary banning than anyone else I think I've ever seen. Yet your posting style remains unchanged. Please consider this your last and intentionally public warning about the basis of your posts. You have seemingly ignored these bans, private messages and obvious upset you are causing other members.

Wild speculation, doom mongering and general "this is what I reckon" posts with no basis in fact or reality is not what TV Forum is for. We are here to discuss Television Presentation. I would highly suggest you refrain from posting until you have something genuinely worthwhile to contribute to the forum otherwise you face a permanent ban.
Bail.
ethanh05503 posts since 2 Apr 2017
HTV Wales Wales Today
I see there are a lot of postponed matches due to the weather, including the BT Sport 1 Yeovil v Chesterfield live match.

Well, there's one postponed match in the EFL. But you are right in saying there are multiple lower down the pyramid. Will be interesting to see if the rearranged match shows up in the BT schedules again.

A spot of boxing on ITV next Saturday - Foster v Reid from York Hall - which is also on BT Sport.

That seems quite pointless. And it isn't even the only boxing on ITV next weekend - they're randomly re-showing Wilder v Fury at 12.15am on Friday night (or Saturday morning). Quite a busy sporting weekend on ITV next time around actually - AEW wrestling on Friday night ITV4, Italy-Scotland on ITV and racing on ITV4 on Saturday, as well as the boxing and usual ITV4 motorsport, and then England-Ireland on the Sunday. Their portfolio is certainly bigger than even a year ago!
thegeek5,380 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
I see there are a lot of postponed matches due to the weather, including the BT Sport 1 Yeovil v Chesterfield live match.

Well, there's one postponed match in the EFL. But you are right in saying there are multiple lower down the pyramid. Will be interesting to see if the rearranged match shows up in the BT schedules again.

A spot of boxing on ITV next Saturday - Foster v Reid from York Hall - which is also on BT Sport.

That seems quite pointless. And it isn't even the only boxing on ITV next weekend - they're randomly re-showing Wilder v Fury at 12.15am on Friday night (or Saturday morning).
well it's not entirely random timing - the rematch is on Saturday night. It's just not on ITV...
commseng380 posts since 8 Dec 2016
London London

It must be bad down there, they've not only cancelled the live match but also the highlights.......... Very Happy
Brekkie gave kudos
DVB Cornwall9,187 posts since 4 Dec 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
For fear of being a doom merchant, but for the record , at least one commentator, ex Sky, Pitch and Discovery/Eurosport exec Dan Tunna is using the Postponed word in respect of Tokyo 2020 today. I still think that the situation has to be several orders worse than at present for this to be even contemplated let alone happen.

We'll see in the coming days and weeks.