TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2020

Returning February! (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:
I wonder how long until ITV buy branding rights to the building?

They won't - the three studios are owned and operated by BBC Studioworks, and they will not let go of these three iconic studios from their portfolio.
JK
JKDerry
Never would've guessed a few years ago how often that building would end up being prominently shown on ITV!

With only a third of the amount of studios it used to have.

There was originally a plan to keep one more studio - Studio TC4 which would mean they would have had an extra entertainment studio at their disposal - sadly money came into play, and they decided to just retain the first three studios of the complex.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

They won't - the three studios are owned and operated by BBC Studioworks, and they will not let go of these three iconic studios from their portfolio.

They wouldn’t have to.
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:
Jon posted:

They wouldn’t have to.

What do you mean?
JK
JKDerry
Can someone explain to me where the fifth studio is operated by BBC Studioworks at Elstree - they say on their website they have five studios available but underneath they only mention four of them. Where is the fifth studio?

Have I read this wrong? - https://bbcstudioworks.com/studios/
Can someone explain to me where the fifth studio is operated by BBC Studioworks at Elstree - they say on their website they have five studios available but underneath they only mention four of them. Where is the fifth studio?

Look like they've missed GL Stage 1 as a separate studio, and included it with GL2
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

They wouldn’t have to.

What do you mean?

There is nothing to stop ITV paying BBC Studioworks an amount of money for them to put a sign up saying ‘ITV Television Centre’. BBC Studioworks would still own and run it but they’d get a bit of extra money their main tenant. Come to think about it, it’s probably worth ITV’s while.
HC
Hatton Cross

No. But you have to look on the right of the page and the technical drawing downloads. GL1 and GL2 are listed as two separate studios (which is where they get the 5 Elstree studios from) - BBC Studioworks normally operate GL2 for tv use.
HC
Hatton Cross
Jon posted:

There is nothing to stop ITV paying BBC Studioworks an amount of money for them to put a sign up saying ‘ITV Television Centre’. BBC Studioworks would still own and run it but they’d get a bit of extra money their main tenant. Come to think about it, it’s probably worth ITV’s while.

Stanhope Properties who actually own and operate the Television Centre development, would probably have a few ideas about that suggestion...
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:

Stanhope Properties who actually own and operate the Television Centre development, would probably have a few ideas about that suggestion...

It will never be named the ITV Television Centre as ITV are really only based in Studios TC2 and TC3 for daytime shows under their sublet agreement with BBC Studioworks - Studio TC1 is open to any production and is provided by BBC Studioworks.

Television Centre is a neutral name and a perfect way to identify this iconic building. To smack the name ITV in front of it would be a huge slap in the face to the BBC, especially given it was their original building, so no it will never be named ITV Television Centre.
JK
JKDerry
The BBC have a 15 year lease on the three studios remaining at Television Centre - so this lease will not end until the summer of 2032 so ITV will have a long wait if they want the lease.
DO
dosxuk
But none of that would stop a lump of cash being transferred between the various interested parties to stick an ITV logo on the side of TC1.
bilky asko, Jon and Cando gave kudos

Newer posts