The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 16th July onwards

Split from BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
Cando posted:
It'll be interesting to see what Bill Turnbull does for audience figures when he fills in for Piers Morgan 24, 25, 26th February on Good Morning Britain. I mean, everyone loves a reunion!

It was Sian and Bill that were the magic partnership. Susanna and Bill never had the same chemistry. They hosted together for less than 2 years, Sian even came back after a few months to host Olympic Breakfast on London with him. Not that it matters one bit to the ratings

Obviously Bill and Sian were the ultimate pairing but when it moved to Salford, Bill was a hit period, first with Susanna and then Louise.

Bill’s departure having been through so many female hosts (yea it made a VT joke of) and of course I mean couch partners..... makes it interesting how it’ll do when he’s sat is the other seat.
CH
chris
Cando posted:
It'll be interesting to see what Bill Turnbull does for audience figures when he fills in for Piers Morgan 24, 25, 26th February on Good Morning Britain. I mean, everyone loves a reunion!

It was Sian and Bill that were the magic partnership. Susanna and Bill never had the same chemistry. They hosted together for less than 2 years, Sian even came back after a few months to host Olympic Breakfast on London with him. Not that it matters one bit to the ratings

Broadly true but there were a couple of years when Dermot and Sian were the main presenters: Bill and Susannah did Fridays and weekends. So they do have a history together.
BR
Brekkie
When did the tide turn and Breakfast overtake GMTV in the ratings, and who was hosting at the time?
ST
Stuart
chris posted:
Broadly true but there were a couple of years when Dermot and Sian were the main presenters : Bill and Susannah did Fridays and weekends. So they do have a history together.

They were never the regular main presenters together.

From 2002 when he joined, Dermot mainly presented with Natasha Kaplinsky until 2006, then Kate Silverton until he left in 2007.

Bill then replaced Dermot, and Sian followed when Kate Silverton left - reforming the partnership they previously had for Fridays/Weekends.

At that time, Charlie and Susannah were doing Fri-Sun, until Sian left and Susannah moved to the Mon-Thur slot with Bill, and Louise Minchin replacing Susannah for the Fri-Sun shift.
Last edited by Stuart on 13 February 2020 11:35pm
BR
Brekkie
I don't remember Kate Silverton ever being a main presenter on Breakfast at all.

TV Ark does though:

https://www.tvark.org/?page=1644
https://www.tvark.org/?page=1645
CA
Cando
chris posted:
Cando posted:

Broadly true but there were a couple of years when Dermot and Sian were the main presenters: Bill and Susannah did Fridays and weekends. So they do have a history together.

It gets complicated because around this time the News at 6 was double headed and Dermot was George's effective stand in so Bill rarely did the full weekend shift as he was on weekday Breakfast more. Charlie Stayt arrived around 2006 iirc and he definitely did more of the Sat/Sun shift than Bill.
chris posted:
Broadly true but there were a couple of years when Dermot and Sian were the main presenters : Bill and Susannah did Fridays and weekends. So they do have a history together.

They were never the regular main presenters together.

From 2002 when he joined, Dermot mainly presented with Natasha Kaplinsky until 2006, then Kate Silverton until he left in 2007.

Bill then replaced Dermot, and Sian followed when Kate Silverton left - reforming the partnership they previously had for Fridays/Weekends.

At that time, Charlie and Susannah were doing Fri-Sun, until Sian left and Susannah moved to the Mon-Thur slot with Bill, and Louise Minchin replacing Susannah for the Fri-Sun shift.

This is correct but Sian did officially replace Natasha. Sian had 2 babies in quick succession so naturally took a lot of maternity leave.
Most people at the time thought Kate was the main presenter given she was there for most of 2 years.
RN
Rolling News
Kate Silverton was definitely more prominent around that time. Breakfast, deputy on the One, filling in on Six and Ten, News 24, even doing shifts on World. Now at most she gets about 1 or 2 Saturday night network news bulletins a month.
HO
House
Natasha temporarily left Breakfast to cover Sophie’s maternity leave, and Sian moved to weekday co-presenter to fill in for her. That arrangement then became permanent when it was announced Sophie would replace Anna Ford on the One O’Clock News. At some point Mishal Husain replaced Sian with Bill, but when she went on maternity leave Susanna Reid succeeded her and Mishal later re-joined World News and Sunday evening bulletins, and Susanna became the full-time Fri-Sun presenter.

Kate was a frequent fill-in presenter, and covered Sian’s maternity leave. I don’t think Dermot stayed at the BBC that long after Natasha became full-time on the Six, but he was definitely partnered with Sian for some time (because their chemistry wasn’t great) and Kate was never a full-time presenter. Sian and Dermot were definitely the main partnership by the time the BARCO screens were introduced in N6, with the initial blue-sky background.
SW
Steve Williams
When did the tide turn and Breakfast overtake GMTV in the ratings, and who was hosting at the time?

It was the Gulf War in 2003 when Breakfast first got a bit of a boost and started beating GMTV, and it managed to hold on to much of the audience when the war was over. I think it was pretty much neck and neck for a bit, GMTV declined very slowly and Breakfast gradually moved up. That was the Dermot and Natasha era.

I don't remember Kate Silverton ever being a main presenter on Breakfast at all.

Of course, Kate Silverton's most talked about moment as Breakfast presenter was Blousegate - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/02/blouse_outrage/

I remember the day after they did a whole feature about that blouse, with it in the studio on a mannequin. Bill became a bit more prominent and popular after he did Strictly in 2005.
RK
Rkolsen

It was the Gulf War in 2003 when Breakfast first got a bit of a boost and started beating GMTV, and it managed to hold on to much of the audience when the war was over. I think it was pretty much neck and neck for a bit, GMTV declined very slowly and Breakfast gradually moved up. That was the Dermot and Natasha era.

Of course, Kate Silverton's most talked about moment as Breakfast presenter was Blousegate - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/02/blouse_outrage/

I remember the day after they did a whole feature about that blouse, with it in the studio on a mannequin. Bill became a bit more prominent and popular after he did Strictly in 2005.

When I read blousegate I was half expecting it being somewhat translucent under the lights. When one local station upgraded to LEDs this one anchor had one or two incidents where it appeared sheer and you could see her skin and bra. I wasn’t sure if I should call in, write directly or mind my own business. After the fact I asked a few people over at TVNT and they thought I should have sent a message (the anchors was active on twitter during the show) where maybe she could change it during a break. But I didn’t want to be one of those creeps or someone that comments on women’s clothes. It maybe one of those things where people in the control room don’t necessarily notice as most are looking at either small dedicated TVs, multiviewers that aren’t full resolution and are busy running the show to notice.
NE
Newsroom

When I read blousegate I was half expecting it being somewhat translucent under the lights. When one local station upgraded to LEDs this one anchor had one or two incidents where it appeared sheer and you could see her skin and bra. I wasn’t sure if I should call in, write directly or mind my own business. After the fact I asked a few people over at TVNT and they thought I should have sent a message (the anchors was active on twitter during the show) where maybe she could change it during a break. But I didn’t want to be one of those creeps or someone that comments on women’s clothes. It maybe one of those things where people in the control room don’t necessarily notice as most are looking at either small dedicated TVs, multiviewers that aren’t full resolution and are busy running the show to notice.

Very Happy
NOOOOOOOO! She upset me terribly last Saturday with something similar and still wears that from time to time. Very Happy
NE
Newsroom
IIRC -When Sian returned for Olympic Breakfast in 2012, her and Bill were never reunited. She was paired with Chris Hollins and Bill with Hazel Irvine.

Newer posts