The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy
It's a shame they just went straight back to normal after the election - there were certain aspects of the election coverage that they definetely could have applied more to the day-to-day coverage. Adding a bit more drama/'oomph' to their coverage while still keeping the focus very much on the news shouldn't be too hard and would be no bad thing. Sky probably went too much the other way at times in the past mind - where you'd have Kay sprinting across half the studio during the voiceover for no real reason - but a medium between the current apporach and that should very much be possible.

With Election Night and the 'Leaving the EU' coverage Sky have shown they can deliver that sort of coverage very well.
Jeffmister and BBI45 gave kudos
GU
Guksack
The entire channel has become stale. From the sets, graphics and repetitive music, programme formats and the apologetic way they interrupt for breaking news. Which used to be Sky's bread and butter.

That's why I always gravitated towards Sky News. Editorial/content aside, it was the best looking news channel and certainly appealed to my limited attention span, haha!

These days it just blends in with all the cheapo news channels further up the EPG. They've gone from looking like a hotbed of activity to filming in the CBBC broom cupboard.
fanoftv and ginnyfan gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
I really don’t like this headline and push alert Sky just sent out:

Quote:
Coronavirus 'superspreader' Steve Walsh discharged from hospital
http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-superspreader-steve-walsh-discharged-from-hospital-11932275

I feel like they put his life at risk by saying he infected 11 other patients. He caught the virus in Singapore and then spent time in a French ski resort where 11 people were believed to be infected. It’s not like he was doing it on purpose. It sounded like there were no restrictions in place or that he knew about it.

Coronavirus: UK businessman linked to virus cases speaks out https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51459210
DA
Dave Founding member
Got to love how they just had breaking news that he had left hospital and read the statement that requested privacy. In the next sentence they gave out his city location, talked about his children and then gave details about his job! Nicely respecting his privacy there!
watchingtv and Brekkie gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
“Breaking News” is overused for effect these days.

Illustrated by one outlet (the online version of a print pest) with the following story:

“BREAKING: Strictly’s Kelvin Fletcher Kisses Wife Goodbye at Train Station”

Sigh.
DA
Dave Founding member
Just seen this on Twitter...

ST
Stuart
@Breakfast is probably missing the availability of a soft set for Sky News - neither the box or Westminster fit the more traditional breakfast show vibe and the opportunity was missed with the other set in the previous incarnation.

I thought there was a soft set opposite the desk at Millbank?
BF
BFGArmy
Sounds like there might be yet another name change for the afternoon show come the summer. For very happy reasons.
TC
TCOTV
Sounds like there might be yet another name change for the afternoon show come the summer. For very happy reasons.

Are you trying to say Sarah-Jane is pregnant? If so then it was announced on 6th January so you can talk about it.
RE
Reece24
I've noticed that when explanation graphics are created and used on the big screen in the Glassbox, there seems to be a strip either side of the main graphics in which we can see the items which have animated out of view/ about to animate in to view.

It's almost as though the graphics have been created for the greenscreen 'screen' - are the two different ratios or sizes?

I noticed it once with Sam Coates on Brexit night, and just now with Mark after 6pm going through the reshuffle.
RH
richard h
I've noticed that when explanation graphics are created and used on the big screen in the Glassbox, there seems to be a strip either side of the main graphics in which we can see the items which have animated out of view/ about to animate in to view.

It's almost as though the graphics have been created for the greenscreen 'screen' - are the two different ratios or sizes?

I noticed it once with Sam Coates on Brexit night, and just now with Mark after 6pm going through the reshuffle.

Can't say I noticed it at the time but just watched it back and you are right. on the right hand side we can see the cabinet reshuffle last person to fly off is still slightly visible
RE
Reece24

Newer posts