« Topics
Jamesypoo1,474 posts since 3 Apr 2005
Anglia (East) Look East
Ben's image is not actually on the screens. He has pasted his image over screens which, judging by the edges of the middle two screens, are showing the BBC News animated red and white globe (I could be wrong).

I'm not so sure, look at the reflections in the desk. Somebody would be going to a hell of a lot of effort to get them looking so realistic in Photoshop just for a prank.
Norwich Designer
bilky asko gave kudos
itsrobert6,438 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today

You may find it interesting to note that there were also subtle differences between the titles used by BBC World and the titles used for the BBC World/News 24 overnight joint bulletins. The World-only ones had "WORLD" spinning round in the background and the joint titles just had place names. I really do admire the levels of detail the BBC went to back then. Everything started going downhill in that respect once the 2003/4 rebrand happened.

To be more precise, this is the quality of work that Lambie-Nairn were doing at their peak. I would be interested to know what the total budget was, but it was a massive undertaking, hot on the heels of their rebrand of the BBC (with the square blocks logo). M-LN's philosophy about brands was that the identity itself should be super simple, and then you add the complexity with the idents / implementation. The best Lambie Nairn work was always incredibly dense, and held up to re-watching because of the detail.

When they came in, it would always be to set the BBC back onto a unified path. After that, every brand package got progressively watered down as the BBC's internal departments strayed from the original brief, and stuffed around with font choices etc.

When MLN came back to rebrand BBC News in 2008, he again reasserted Gill Sans as the font, and once again created visuals that had a visual density that held up to repeated viewings - the core of which still survives today. But with only about £500,000 to revamp the entire news output, it was never going to equal the incredible breadth that the 1999 packages did.

The 2008 BBC News rebrand was the last job Martin Lambie-Nairn completed before leaving the company that bore his name. A couple of years ago it was folded into Superunion.

/rant

MLN certainly did some fantastic work over the years. In terms of news, the BBC World flags (1993/1997), BBC News 1999 and ITN News 1995 were my favourites. I'd say the World flags and ITN designs are still as fresh as they ever were. Although the BBC News 1999 designs were revolutionary at the time, I do feel that the colour scheme dates them somewhat now. Cream is a bit passé.
Rkolsen3,071 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Ben's image is not actually on the screens. He has pasted his image over screens which, judging by the edges of the middle two screens, are showing the BBC News animated red and white globe (I could be wrong).

I'm not so sure, look at the reflections in the desk. Somebody would be going to a hell of a lot of effort to get them looking so realistic in Photoshop just for a prank.

I saw that as well, in addition you can see how the lighting affects the screen in one of the pictures. It’s possible someone was just trying things out with video wall systems, routed the feed straight from the studio to most of the screens while one is doing a DVE.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Newsroom1,866 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Recently warned
Thought this might interest some in these parts...

Please do ask him when the next BBC News refresh is, surely due soon. I mean, it's been 7 years.
Formerly News Room
I've scored a Hat-trick of WARNINGS
Anglialad gave kudos
Anglialad55 posts since 5 Aug 2019
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)

Will this be available to listen to again if I’ve missed it?
commseng - "Radio Homicide would be murder to listen to".
Anglialad55 posts since 5 Aug 2019

Please do ask him when the next BBC News refresh is, surely due soon. I mean, it's been 7 years.

If there’s been a change visually, surely next comes the music. That’s what happened every time the NC and BBC World News rebranded with both new graphics and music, but this time it’s just graphics and the same music.
Last edited by Anglialad on 15 February 2020 1:12pm
commseng - "Radio Homicide would be murder to listen to".
Worzel4,867 posts since 8 Jan 2008

Will this be available to listen to again if I’ve missed it?

It certainly has been. I played a few sections of the interview on my Saturday Breakfast show this morning, but I've uploaded the full 40 minute piece as a podcast (we'll also be airing it as a one hour special in due course):

https://cambridge105.co.uk/saturday-breakfast-with-matt-webb-david-lowe-15-02-2020/
Last edited by Worzel on 15 February 2020 5:36pm
Anglialad gave kudos
Brekkie33,330 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today

Has BBC News had a complete all in one refresh (titles, astons and studio all on the same day) since 1999? Possibly the 2004 refresh, but not sure the studio was changed at the same time back then.
It's great that everybody gets sarcasm.
TheMike88 posts since 12 Jan 2019
Central (East) East Midlands Today

Has BBC News had a complete all in one refresh (titles, astons and studio all on the same day) since 1999? Possibly the 2004 refresh, but not sure the studio was changed at the same time back then.

The 1999 wasn't an all-in-one refresh? Breakfast didn't change until Autumn 2000; the regions gradually introduced the new look over several months; News 24 changed in October 1999, BBC World got a refresh in April 2000 (although the new look was visible overnights for several months prior).

April 2008 must have been closest to an all-in-one refresh, as BBC One, BBC News and BBC World News all got the stripey globe on the same day, new astons and it was also when both News Channels changed studio.
chris4,294 posts since 6 Jul 2005
Granada North West Today

Yes. 2008 and 2013.

And 2004 wasn’t all at once. It was in 2003 the studio changed - it would be more than a year until the titles did.