The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
AJB39 posted:
A rare live appearance by Laura Kuenssberg on the BBC News Channel right now with breaking news of Chancellor Sajid Javid’s resignation.

Thought that as well but I suspect it'll become more common with the news restructure. I'm sure there was talk of editors/senior reporters working across multiple outlets to reduce duplication. Also to be frank, with a story such as the resignation of the chancellor, which was broken by Laura, it surely makes sense for her to report on it herself.

When Nick Robinson was Political Editor he'd frequently appear on the News channel/News 24 but that was back in the day before the Chief Political Correspondent role appeared.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
AJB39 posted:
A rare live appearance by Laura Kuenssberg on the BBC News Channel right now with breaking news of Chancellor Sajid Javid’s resignation.

When Nick Robinson was Political Editor he'd frequently appear on the News channel/News 24 but that was back in the day before the Chief Political Correspondent role appeared.

The BBC News 24 Chief Political Correspondent position has existed since 1997. Initially it was held by Huw Edwards, followed by Nick Robinson, in fact.
JF
JF World News
Rico Hizon is leaving BBC World News. After 17 years with the channel.

What's your source on this James? I can see BBC co-workers expressing shock on Twitter but no news source.

This article published just days ago suggests otherwise...

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/02/louise-cooper-and-mickey-clarke-to-leave-5-live/

Could this be curtains on the Singapore Bureau as part of the news cuts?

I doubt it as they only opened it in 2015, on this site. Although I think it could be better used
SW
Steve Williams
The BBC News 24 Chief Political Correspondent position has existed since 1997. Initially it was held by Huw Edwards, followed by Nick Robinson, in fact.

I mentioned Chief Political Correspondent for News 24 the other day when we were dicussing Huw Edwards' background. In those days, there was a need for such a role to exist because News 24 had a deliberately different style - no jackets, all that - and of course they didn't simulcast the main news bulletins so at one, six and nine (as was) they'd presumably be covering the same stories but wouldn't be able to use the Political Editor. It was similar to John Pienaar being Chief Political Correspondent for 5 Live, for similar reasons.

It's rather different now given it's all BBC News. I wouldn't say it was especially unusual today, it is a fact that the Political Editor usually concerns themselves with the biggest stories and the resignation of the Chancellor is bloody big news.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Mariko Oi announced her pregnancy at the end of Newsday today, in a segment about bear cubs.

If the rumors of Rico’s departure are true, and Mariko will also be having some time off, Sharanjit Leyl is going to be very busy!

I guess Karishma Vaswani (also based) is always on hand to help.
RN
Rolling News
AJB39 posted:

Yes, the history of Chief Political Correspondents on News 24 is as follows:

1997-1999: Huw Edwards
1999-2002: Nick Robinson
2002-2004: Guto Harri
2004-2009: James Landale
2009-2011: Laura Kuenssberg
2011-2014: Norman Smith
2014-present: Vicki Young

On a daily basis it's generally Norman Smith (as Assistant Political Editor) who covers the main political stories on the News Channel from 9am-2pm and then Vicki who does from 2pm until the evening. With the cutbacks, it's questionable whether they need an Assistant Political Editor as well as Chief Political Correspondents on the News Channel. Although I have seen Vicki reporting on the Six and Ten in recent times, introduced as Chief Political Correspondent, so it seems her role is across the whole of BBC News now.

I can definitely see Vicki moving into an Editor role the same as 3 of her predecessors in the next few years.
LX
lxflyer
Norman also reports on Radio 4 during the day including the Six O’Clock News - it’s a bit simplistic to say he’s just on the News Channel.
CH
chris
Norman also reports on Radio 4 during the day including the Six O’Clock News - it’s a bit simplistic to say he’s just on the News Channel.

And BBC News at One. Of all the areas of cost-cutting to go for, this isn’t it.
BR
Brekkie
I can definitely see Vicki moving into an Editor role the same as 3 of her predecessors in the next few years.

With recent pay scandals I suspect they'll be quite cautious when it comes to job titles and roles - presumably a correspondent, even a Chief Correspondent, is on a lower pay scale than an editor.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Karishma Vaswani presenting the Singapore segment of Newsday:

KK
KolonelKlink
Chris Buckler stepping down as North America correspondent to co-host new Radio Ulster breakfast show:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/ulster-breakfast
RN
Rolling News
John Pienaar leaving the BBC after 30 years to help launch the Times radio station

Newer posts