TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NB
NicB1971
Eric's also the only surviving character from the Emmerdale Farm days. You could have sort-of counted Robert until a few months back, ignoring several years of absences and about three changes of head.

Surprisingly, the longest surviving female character without a break is now Victoria Sugden. Going back to the "Farm" days (pre-89), I can only think of Matt, Dolly and Sam Skilbeck, and Sandie Merrick who are still alive (actor and character) with links to the Sugden family. Can anyone else come up with others?
JA
james-2001
Suprisingly we're up to mid-November, but we haven't seen the 1994 Yorkshire endcap yet, it's still using the 1989 endcap even though the new idents had come in around a month earlier. The theme tune over the credits has sounded a bit iffy on some recent episodes too, possibly the tape was damaged or wearing out? We're only a few weeks away from the original theme disappearing from the show for good anyway.
JB
JasonB
Were Granada Plus still showing Emmerdale before it's closure?
JA
james-2001
Yes, and they were up to 2001 by that point, so very close.
JA
JAS84
Yes - I just found a TV Forum thread from Plus's final Christmas. They certainly got past 1998. https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/granada-plus-christmas-tv-listings-7130/

EDIT: Looks like I got beaten to it. Ah well.
JB
JasonB
What's caused the sudden influx of these 'Lottery' adverts that you find during the commercials of Classic Emmerdale and Coronation Street?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Is Zak the longest serving (almost) continual character now?

As others have said, it’s Pollard, but it’s not entirely clear if Zak is still in the programme, as he seems to have disappeared.
SC
Si-Co
Eric's also the only surviving character from the Emmerdale Farm days. You could have sort-of counted Robert until a few months back, ignoring several years of absences and about three changes of head.

Surprisingly, the longest surviving female character without a break is now Victoria Sugden. Going back to the "Farm" days (pre-89), I can only think of Matt, Dolly and Sam Skilbeck, and Sandie Merrick who are still alive (actor and character) with links to the Sugden family. Can anyone else come up with others?

Kathy - effectively a member of the family through her marriage to Jack’s son Jackie - is still alive and could theoretically return. Most of her family (the Bates) are alive as far as we know.

I think David Hughes (again related through marriage), though never a regular character, is still alive somewhere. They swiftly killed off Joe, Kate, Mark and Rachel - an entire family unit - over the course of the 90s, then Sarah and Jack in the 00s. I do wonder if they ever regret having killed off so many regulars - probably not, as the show has changed so much there’s little reason for any of them to return.

I wonder if Annie will be given an off-screen death? The village is named after her farm after all!
JA
james-2001
To be fair, Jack was only killed off because the person who played him died. He'd likely still be in it if he was still alive.
NE
News96
Which brings me to a question-Do you think they will address Sheila Mercier's death in the same way they did with Freddie Jones's death last week (i.e Sandy dying and The Thomas Family rushing off to Australia for the off-screen Funeral.)
NB
NicB1971
Si-Co posted:

Kathy - effectively a member of the family through her marriage to Jack’s son Jackie - is still alive and could theoretically return. Most of her family (the Bates) are alive as far as we know.

I think David Hughes (again related through marriage), though never a regular character, is still alive somewhere. They swiftly killed off Joe, Kate, Mark and Rachel - an entire family unit - over the course of the 90s, then Sarah and Jack in the 00s. I do wonder if they ever regret having killed off so many regulars - probably not, as the show has changed so much there’s little reason for any of them to return.

I wonder if Annie will be given an off-screen death? The village is named after her farm after all!

How could I forget Kathy, the beauty of Beckindale. Nick, Alice and Caroline are all alive too (character and actor).
I'm still waiting for Archie Brooks to return in the way they did with Harold Bishop in Neighbours Very Happy

I still hope ITV plan a suitable send-off for Annie Sugden/Sheila Mercier as is right and proper for the actress and character
JO
Jon
What's caused the sudden influx of these 'Lottery' adverts that you find during the commercials of Classic Emmerdale and Coronation Street?

Probably due to the rules changing in recent years meaning anyone can a run a national lottery and charities realising that people watching daytime TV are more likely to give if there is something in it for them.

Newer posts