« Topics
Andrew14,317 posts since 27 Mar 2001
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Only a matter of time before Bill Turnbull turned up there as a presenter. He has been much more loyal to Susanna Reid and Good Morning Britain recently than he has ever been to BBC Breakfast.

Good Morning Britain to beat BBC Breakfast in the ratings in late February then, no doubt.

Unlikely. GMB could be hosted by Dan Walker and Louise Minchin and BBC Breakfast would still beat it almost 2 to 1
Custard56, DavidWhitfield and 2 others
  • Stuart
  • Jonwo
gave kudos
JKDerry2,458 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Only a matter of time before Bill Turnbull turned up there as a presenter. He has been much more loyal to Susanna Reid and Good Morning Britain recently than he has ever been to BBC Breakfast.

Good Morning Britain to beat BBC Breakfast in the ratings in late February then, no doubt.

Unlikely. GMB could be hosted by Dan Walker and Louise Minchin and BBC Breakfast would still beat it almost 2 to 1

It still baffles me why that is so
dosxuk4,490 posts since 22 Oct 2005

Because it's reliable, concise, and doesn't have andy peters appearing with a random phone competition every half hour. And that's on the days when piers isn't appearing.

Why anyone would want to subject themselves to the episodes when he does appear is literally beyond me. I'd end up throwing the TV out the window.
Steve Williams, Hatton Cross and 3 others
  • Inspector Sands
  • Jonwo
  • Custard56
gave kudos
Andrew14,317 posts since 27 Mar 2001

BBC Breakfast is basically wallpaper TV for most, a bit of news, sport, travel, weather, with samey chatty links in between them and forgettable inoffensive features making up the rest of the hour.

GMB can’t compete with that, it’s like someone trying to do Corn Flakes better than Kellogg’s.
Jonwo gave kudos
itsrobert6,471 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
Goodness me, whoever thought that would make a good set/backdrop at six o'clock in the morning? It looks so dingy and unappealing. Thank goodness the current GMB set is a lot brighter and more welcoming for that time of day. I did kind of like the Daybreak theme music, though.
DJ Dave, watchingtv and 030293 gave kudos
Inspector Sands14,554 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Because it's reliable, concise, and doesn't have andy peters appearing with a random phone competition every half hour. And that's on the days when piers isn't appearing.

Yes reliability is a big part of it, people time their mornings according to the items on the breakfast programme they have on.

If I know that I've got to be out be out the house at 7:20 and that's when the sports news is on then its no good if sometimes it's on at 7:27 because the presenter won't shut up. The same if I want to see the regional travel before going out, I know exactly what time its on on BBC1
Aaron_20151,127 posts since 11 Mar 2015
Westcountry Spotlight
As expected, the Oscars special wasn’t particularly popular with viewers, around 100k down on standard levels I think.

Quote:
Monday’s edition of GMB, hosted by Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid, attracted an average audience of just 670,000 viewers between 6.00am – 9.00am, with an 18.8% audience share. This is down on what the ITV breakfast show had been getting in recent weeks.

BBC’s Breakfast benefited as its ratings went from the average of 1.4 million viewers to an impressive 1.64 million on Monday, taking a hefty 45% audience share.

— ATV Today

So for the additional cost involved in comparison to a normal show, the result was ultimately handing BBC Breakfast a larger audience.
Ittr, Stuart and 2 others
  • JamesTV
  • Spencer
gave kudos
Inspector Sands14,554 posts since 25 Aug 2004
"Sorry I'm late... Piers Morgan was ranting"

said nobody ever.

Except the presenters of the regional news opts. Rolling Eyes

My point stands that at in the mornings a lot of people do rely on TV and radio for their routine. That's why programmes traditionally have very regular timings. The Big Breakfast was a very good example of this, same features at the same time every day.

You can't do that with GMB