TV Home Forum

1994 Champions League final on the BBC

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard
I just discovered this on Genome that the 1994 Champions League final was broadcast on BBC 1.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1994-05-18#at-19.00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_UEFA_Champions_League_Final

Wiki (I know, such a reliable source), says that ITV held exclusive rights to the competition between 1992 and 2003. If so, how was this match broadcast on the BBC? Did ITV show it as well?

What kind of branding did it use?
UK
UKnews
I'm sure I read somewhere in the past that it was a hang over from a previous rights agreement that saw the European Cup final - as it was - alternate between the BBC and ITV. The BBC had shown the last European Cup final in 1992, presumably the agreement for the final went to 1994, even as ITV had the rights for the new Champions League from 1993.
JO
Jon
Is it possible that for the first couple of years the rights were sold by the clubs apart from the final, with only ITV paying interest in other games?

I’m sure Steve Williams will know.
RD
rdd Founding member
My understanding is that in the first two years of the “Champions League” branding, it was used only in the group stage, and that it was only in the 1994-5 season that the entire competition became the UEFA Champions League.

If the OP looks at the Wikipedia article they linked to, you’ll see a copy of the cover of the match day programme, with the competition still referred to as “European Champion Clubs Cup” and not a starball to be seen.
BR
Brekkie
Did the BBC and ITV show the final during the years the English clubs were banned?
RE
Revolution
rdd posted:
My understanding is that in the first two years of the “Champions League” branding, it was used only in the group stage, and that it was only in the 1994-5 season that the entire competition became the UEFA Champions League.

If the OP looks at the Wikipedia article they linked to, you’ll see a copy of the cover of the match day programme, with the competition still referred to as “European Champion Clubs Cup” and not a starball to be seen.

That's true. Prior to 1994-5, the starball was there to represent the eight teams that made it into the 'Champions League', the two groups of four. There wasn't a uniform kick off time either.

The changes are owed in part to the broadcasters. Carlton for instance were not happy that Manchester United failed to make it past the preliminary stages and threatened to pull out of financing the event unless changes were made. Arsene Wenger a few years later made the point that the broadcasters wanted a sure way to keep the 'big' clubs past winter and interest in the competition, and that's why the seeding came in and then the subsequent format revision.

The 1992 final I think was also on the Beeb.
TI
tightrope78
ITV definitely showed the 1986 final between Barcelona and Steaua București. It was an atrocious match that ended goalless. Brian Moore and Kevin Keegan commentated on it and in later years would mention how bad a match it was.

By 1990 the final was relegated to highlights on Sportsnight:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1990-05-23

TI
tightrope78
Sorry for the double post however this link gives the answer to Brekkie’s question:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/cupfinals_c.html#European
SW
Steve Williams
I'm sure I read somewhere in the past that it was a hang over from a previous rights agreement that saw the European Cup final - as it was - alternate between the BBC and ITV. The BBC had shown the last European Cup final in 1992, presumably the agreement for the final went to 1994, even as ITV had the rights for the new Champions League from 1993.

Yes, that does appear to be the case. For a while I wondered if ITV might have sub-licenced the match to the Beeb because ITV had shown Arsenal in the Cup Winners' Cup Final the previous week and they didn't want to show live football two weeks running, but as you say, it appears to be because the European Cup Final was still sold separately.

In those days the coverage of the Champions League was pretty ad hoc, that season after Man U had gone out in the early rounds I don't think ITV showed another live game from the competition, and only showed highlights, concentrating instead on Arsenal in the Cup Winners' Cup. It was in 1995/96 when the broadcasters were obliged to show a live game from every round of the competition regardless of whether their nation still had a team in it, hence ITV had to show Ajax vs Panathinaikos live in 1996, and I remember Chris Evans on Radio 1 the next morning wondering why they'd shown it.

Sorry for the double post however this link gives the answer to Brekkie’s question:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/cupfinals_c.html#European

Indeed, brilliant site it is too, the best and most complete guide to pre-Premier League football anywhere on the internet. One particularly interesting bit relates to the 1989 European Cup Final in Barcelona which nearly wasn't shown anywhere as Spanish TV were on strike, though at the last minute they allowed it to be filmed as long as it wasn't shown in Spain, so a crew from Italian TV flew in and did it, I know there was a clip on YouTube of Martin Tyler apologising for the rather ragged coverage in commentary.

ITV definitely showed the 1986 final between Barcelona and Steaua București. It was an atrocious match that ended goalless. Brian Moore and Kevin Keegan commentated on it and in later years would mention how bad a match it was.

I also remember Danny Baker talking about how the Sunday after, the same crew who'd covered that match then covered a Sunday league match for his series The Game about Sunday football, and at the end they told him the game was a million times better. He talked about that on Fantasy Football and on one of the videos there's a clip where he says that at one point the referee walked up to the camera to explain why he'd just sent off a player, in rather too graphic language to broadcast.

As the site points out, they lost the line to the commentators halfway through and Peter Brackley had to pick it up from London (the exact opposite happened a few weeks later in the World Cup, where the line to Peter Brackley went down and Brian Moore picked it up from London). It also points out that to get the season finished early for the World Cup, all three European finals were played within a week, the Uefa Cup Final first leg on Wednesday, the Cup Winner's Cup Final on Friday, the second leg of the Uefa Cup final on Tuesday and then the European Cup Final the following evening.
UKnews and tightrope78 gave kudos
RR
RR
Wasn't it the case that their was still a separate contract for the finals that was with Eurovision, similar to the Euros and the World Cup, and within that the BBC and ITV effectively shared out the matches. There was also as a result coverage on Eurosport. The contract for the finals was separate from any other matches.

Newer posts