The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen

I'd be surprised if it was the US, far too many 240V connectors in that photo, and not using their local connectors either. Cee forms are pretty unpopular over there compared to the rest of the world.

But yeah, it's not D. Different desk and D is taller and has a hoop in the ceiling.

I googled marcus.mcnulty and his Instagram is locked. However there is one that appeared when I added BBC and LinkedIn listings for the name popped up. There’s one who works in London whose the “craft lead vision mixer”.

Also I’ve never seen Purell wipes like that if they were for hand sterilization I’ve only seen them in packets or a very large round container. If we are talking about wipes to clean/kill germs they almost always are Clorox, Lysol or off brand bleach wipes that all come in a cylindrical plastic bottle or some heavy duty grade that you’d buy from an industrial cleaning store.

Two observations:
1. Those are Purell Surface Sanitizing Wipes. A Google image search shows the same container shape and label.
2. Ben's image is not actually on the screens. He has pasted his image over screens which, judging by the edges of the middle two screens, are showing the BBC News animated red and white globe (I could be wrong).

If this is the new DC studio, though, then it looks like a great improvement is on the way.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case, but the 16:30 GMT edition of WBR is broadcast from NYC. It's nice that the WBR is broadcasting from New York again, just as it did with Richard Quest and Paddy O'Connell many years ago. It does make me wish they had a proper studio again though, and not just a DTL in front of a flatscreen, even though the current Manhattan backdrop has a nice blue blur effect.

I should say those sanitizing wipes are not available in the US.
NE
Newsroom
Haha! Love the disinfectant wipes discussion. BB has already liked my post on social media - it’s definitely not studio D!

It’s surely Washington.

But then it’s a bit too NBH albeit with low ceilings.

Anyone got any other ideas?

The only other studio in need of a revamp Off the top of my head is BBC Wales and when news moves in around April; they won’t be using screens. I’m told atrium, live background.
RK
Rkolsen
Haha! Love the disinfectant wipes discussion. BB has already liked my post on social media - it’s definitely not studio D!

It’s surely Washington.

But then it’s a bit too NBH albeit with low ceilings.

Anyone got any other ideas?

The only other studio in need of a revamp Off the top of my head is BBC Wales and when news moves in around April; they won’t be using screens. I’m told atrium, live background.

From what I’ve seen the DC Bureau’s studio is not that wide or big. I don’t think they would waste valuable studio space for half a circle. In my mind if they were going to go with a studio D look they could have the monitors but with a flat back against the wall and a slight curve as it reach the corners.
SN
The SNT Three
He's posted it on Instagram with the location set as BBC Broadcasting House, for what it's worth. The photo was originally taken by a London-based vision mixer, too...
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm sure I saw a photo (maybe here, maybe Twitter, maybe elsewhere) of a new Mosart based gallery being built for one of the World Service TV services. Possibly the studio to go with that?
RK
Rkolsen
I'm sure I saw a photo (maybe here, maybe Twitter, maybe elsewhere) of a new Mosart based gallery being built for one of the World Service TV services. Possibly the studio to go with that?

Yeah, mediaboy has posted a lot of Mosart installations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were modernizing the studios as well. Haven’t the world service studios have been based there well before the launch of the NBH? I seem to recall many were SD and using older equipment so they may have been at the end of their useful life.
CR
Critique
As per the below tweet from mediaboy, the new set looks to be for BBC Persian:

JW
JamesWorldNews
This is a hoot.

MA
Markymark
This is a hoot.

Wasn't there a similar instance of someone getting CBBC's subtitles during Trump's inauguration? The subtitles for all channels within a mux are carried as separate streams, and it's a case of the telly to match them up. You only need a glitch to get 1s and 0s muddled, and things like that can occur
IS
Inspector Sands

Yeah, mediaboy has posted a lot of Mosart installations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were modernizing the studios as well. Haven’t the world service studios have been based there well before the launch of the NBH? I seem to recall many were SD and using older equipment so they may have been at the end of their useful life.

Yes BBC Arabic, Persian and BBC London are in the Peel Wing (originally the Egton Wing) which was part of the first phase of the BH redevelopment. Whereas London eventually got a studio and gallery that was integrated with the main ones, Arabic and Persian didn't. They'll be using the same

The major advantage of this is that they can share gallery staff as the technology in the galleries will be the same (even though the programme style isn't)
FF
FactorFiles

You may find it interesting to note that there were also subtle differences between the titles used by BBC World and the titles used for the BBC World/News 24 overnight joint bulletins. The World-only ones had "WORLD" spinning round in the background and the joint titles just had place names. I really do admire the levels of detail the BBC went to back then. Everything started going downhill in that respect once the 2003/4 rebrand happened.

To be more precise, this is the quality of work that Lambie-Nairn were doing at their peak. I would be interested to know what the total budget was, but it was a massive undertaking, hot on the heels of their rebrand of the BBC (with the square blocks logo). M-LN's philosophy about brands was that the identity itself should be super simple, and then you add the complexity with the idents / implementation. The best Lambie Nairn work was always incredibly dense, and held up to re-watching because of the detail.

When they came in, it would always be to set the BBC back onto a unified path. After that, every brand package got progressively watered down as the BBC's internal departments strayed from the original brief, and stuffed around with font choices etc.

When MLN came back to rebrand BBC News in 2008, he again reasserted Gill Sans as the font, and once again created visuals that had a visual density that held up to repeated viewings - the core of which still survives today. But with only about £500,000 to revamp the entire news output, it was never going to equal the incredible breadth that the 1999 packages did.

The 2008 BBC News rebrand was the last job Martin Lambie-Nairn completed before leaving the company that bore his name. A couple of years ago it was folded into Superunion.

/rant
IS
Inspector Sands

Wasn't there a similar instance of someone getting CBBC's subtitles during Trump's inauguration? The subtitles for all channels within a mux are carried as separate streams, and it's a case of the telly to match them up. You only need a glitch to get 1s and 0s muddled, and things like that can occur

Yes there was, it caused quite a fuss despite the fact that it only happened on one person's TV

Newer posts