« Topics
itsrobert6,438 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
Have only just realised that now the intro to the Ten has been shortened, that this is the first time since May 1999 that the 3 main bulletins haven't shared the same titles.

It's kind of hard to say, really. Since February 2004 the 1/6/10 titles have been pretty (completely?) identical to each other, except for the number at the end. But the titles used for the 1/6/9/10 between May 1999 and February 2004 were unique. They shared the same music, but visually they were all different to each other, save for the colour scheme and general concept.
Rolling News1,011 posts since 27 Dec 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Have only just realised that now the intro to the Ten has been shortened, that this is the first time since May 1999 that the 3 main bulletins haven't shared the same titles.

It's kind of hard to say, really. Since February 2004 the 1/6/10 titles have been pretty (completely?) identical to each other, except for the number at the end. But the titles used for the 1/6/9/10 between May 1999 and February 2004 were unique. They shared the same music, but visually they were all different to each other, save for the colour scheme and general concept.

Just gone on YouTube to watch the 1999 titles. How has it taken me over 20 years to realise the 1/6/9/10 titles all have different place names!?!?
itsrobert gave kudos
m_in_m1,697 posts since 22 Apr 2006
Anglia (East) Look East

Just gone on YouTube to watch the 1999 titles. How has it taken me over 20 years to realise the 1/6/9/10 titles all have different place names!?!?

The place names represented the different focus of each of I remember correctly so the Six was far more domestic compared to the International slant of the Nine/Ten. Presume the One was more neutral but probably rarely ever saw those titles.
itsrobert6,438 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today

Ha! Well due to the same concept and colour schemes, the differences were fairly subtle. As well as the place names being different, the various shapes and sequences within the titles were unique to each bulletin as well. I'd say they were all unique really. I'm pretty sure your original point is correct from February 2004 onwards as, to the best of my knowledge, the various titles have been identical except for the number.

You may find it interesting to note that there were also subtle differences between the titles used by BBC World and the titles used for the BBC World/News 24 overnight joint bulletins. The World-only ones had "WORLD" spinning round in the background and the joint titles just had place names. I really do admire the levels of detail the BBC went to back then. Everything started going downhill in that respect once the 2003/4 rebrand happened.

The place names represented the different focus of each of I remember correctly so the Six was far more domestic compared to the International slant of the Nine/Ten. Presume the One was more neutral but probably rarely ever saw those titles.

Yes, that's quite right. The One and Six had UK place names, whereas the Nine/Ten and generic titles had world cities. It was supposedly to reflect the international perspective of the late news and UK-focus of the daytime bulletins. In reality, of course, all the bulletins featured pretty much the same news whether domestic or international! I suppose there was sometimes a more in depth foreign report during the Nine/Ten, though.
Newsroom1,866 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Recently warned
Looks like D

Actually some investigative work and I think this is the new Washington Studio. Those Lysol wipes are not available here. They’re American, the otter brand is Clorox.

Here we have Flash wipes.

Also that studio looks very much out of action whereas D is very much in action.

Has Mr Bland given is a cheeky sneak peak at Washington’s new set?
Formerly News Room
I've scored a Hat-trick of WARNINGS
bilky asko5,634 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Looks like D

Actually some investigative work and I think this is the new Washington Studio. Those Lysol wipes are not available here. They’re American, the otter brand is Clorox.

Also that studio looks very much out of action whereas D is very much in action.

I think they're Purell wipes aren't they? In any case I don't think it's D as there are 4 screens in a row (whereas D has 3)
dosxuk4,390 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Looks like D

I'd be surprised if it was the US, far too many 240V connectors in that photo, and not using their local connectors either. Cee forms are pretty unpopular over there compared to the rest of the world.

But yeah, it's not D. Different desk and D is taller and has a hoop in the ceiling.
bilky asko gave kudos
Rkolsen3,075 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Looks like D

I'd be surprised if it was the US, far too many 240V connectors in that photo, and not using their local connectors either. Cee forms are pretty unpopular over there compared to the rest of the world.

But yeah, it's not D. Different desk and D is taller and has a hoop in the ceiling.

I googled marcus.mcnulty and his Instagram is locked. However there is one that appeared when I added BBC and LinkedIn listings for the name popped up. There’s one who works in London whose the “craft lead vision mixer”.

Also I’ve never seen Purell wipes like that if they were for hand sterilization I’ve only seen them in packets or a very large round container. If we are talking about wipes to clean/kill germs they almost always are Clorox, Lysol or off brand bleach wipes that all come in a cylindrical plastic bottle or some heavy duty grade that you’d buy from an industrial cleaning store.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Batavia20 posts since 10 Feb 2017
BBC World News

I googled marcus.mcnulty and his Instagram is locked. However there is one that appeared when I added BBC and LinkedIn listings for the name popped up. There’s one who works in London whose the “craft lead vision mixer”.

Also I’ve never seen Purell wipes like that if they were for hand sterilization I’ve only seen them in packets or a very large round container. If we are talking about wipes to clean/kill germs they almost always are Clorox, Lysol or off brand bleach wipes that all come in a cylindrical plastic bottle or some heavy duty grade that you’d buy from an industrial cleaning store.

Two observations:
1. Those are Purell Surface Sanitizing Wipes. A Google image search shows the same container shape and label.
2. Ben's image is not actually on the screens. He has pasted his image over screens which, judging by the edges of the middle two screens, are showing the BBC News animated red and white globe (I could be wrong).

If this is the new DC studio, though, then it looks like a great improvement is on the way.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case, but the 16:30 GMT edition of WBR is broadcast from NYC. It's nice that the WBR is broadcasting from New York again, just as it did with Richard Quest and Paddy O'Connell many years ago. It does make me wish they had a proper studio again though, and not just a DTL in front of a flatscreen, even though the current Manhattan backdrop has a nice blue blur effect.
ittrgrey gave kudos