TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard
That's standard for live programmes, the same happened when Something for the Weekend fell off air.

Though before when they were at Oasis Academy and they fell off air, Nicky seemed to know (2:50 in)

itvblocks and Curto21 gave kudos
RD
RDJ
Today's blunder:

itvblocks, Curto21 and Si-Co gave kudos
MA
Markymark
Johnr posted:
I noticed when it came back on Nicky was just in the middle of carrying on as usual as if nothing had happened, as if he wasn’t aware they had been broadcasting to nobody for the previous 10 minutes!

It's something that That's TV staff must be very familiar with.
JA
james-2001
That's standard for live programmes, the same happened when Something for the Weekend fell off air.

Happened with The Last Leg too, in that case we saw the full show during later repeats.
JF
JetixFann450

Happened with The Last Leg too, in that case we saw the full show during later repeats.

Wasn't there that time they had Stephen Merchant on the show and then they had a technical fault, but the next weeks episode had the exact same announcer making fun of them?
IT
itvblocks
BBC needs to bring back 'Against the Clock' for the breakdowns.

"You're watching BBC1, sorry about that, but I'm really pleased to say that we can now go to Best Inventions."
Last edited by itvblocks on 9 February 2020 7:33pm - 3 times in total
CH
channel4squares1
I remember some Look North bulletins were reply by (I think) Newsroom SE due to a cock up or two.

East Midlands Today shown BBC London News a few days ago during Breakfast. That's at least twice it happened now.
TI
TIGHazard
I remember some Look North bulletins were reply by (I think) Newsroom SE due to a cock up or two.

East Midlands Today shown BBC London News a few days ago during Breakfast. That's at least twice it happened now.

Look North (NE&C) failed to opt out during breakfast today.
NG
noggin Founding member
Johnr posted:
I noticed when it came back on Nicky was just in the middle of carrying on as usual as if nothing had happened, as if he wasn’t aware they had been broadcasting to nobody for the previous 10 minutes!

Yes - you usually carry on as normal for many reasons. These include not knowing whether you are off-air everywhere, not knowing when you will be cut back to, ensuring you have a recording to go up on iPlayer after transmission etc.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Johnr posted:

Yes - you usually carry on as normal for many reasons. These include not knowing whether you are off-air everywhere, not knowing when you will be cut back to, ensuring you have a recording to go up on iPlayer after transmission etc.

Point of order:
If a live programme falls off the air and the iPlayer copy is an off-air "recording", should it be on there as transmitted, fault and all, or does the system have access to a direct copy including the part of the programme that didn't go out?

Of course I suppose it depends on where in the chain the fault occurred. If it fell over between source and broadcasting, that's different to if it fell over before it left the source in the first place, or if the breakdown occurred because the power went out at the source, you can't record what you don't receive!
MA
Markymark
Johnr posted:

Point of order:
If a live programme falls off the air and the iPlayer copy is an off-air "recording", should it be on there as transmitted, fault and all, or does the system have access to a direct copy including the part of the programme that didn't go out?

Of course I suppose it depends on where in the chain the fault occurred. If it fell over between source and broadcasting, that's different to if it fell over before it left the source in the first place, or if the breakdown occurred because the power went out at the source, you can't record what you don't receive!

Non technical presenter and production types won't worry themselves wondering which category and possibilities are applicable, so as Noggin says, just carry on regardless
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There was a story from the time just after Sutton Coldfield transmitter opened when a live play ground to a halt and the cast walked off set. It transpired that the Alexandra Palace transmitter had failed so there was no point in continuing. (This happened so often there was a light in the studio to indicate it.)

The only problem was Sutton was still on...

Newer posts