The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
I honestly don’t see the point in the BBC paying Kate Silverton to pop up on Saturdays now and again. She’s definitely a presenter who should be considered when shaving that huge amount of money from news. IMO - she brings nothing to Saturday evening television, rarely does the One, and clearly has no interest into getting into a fuller role at the BBC. She’s always been vocal that her family comes first, and I applaud that, but if it’s only Saturdays she can do - a contract to sever I think.
RN
Rolling News
I honestly don’t see the point in the BBC paying Kate Silverton to pop up on Saturdays now and again. She’s definitely a presenter who should be considered when shaving that huge amount of money from news. IMO - she brings nothing to Saturday evening television, rarely does the One, and clearly has no interest into getting into a fuller role at the BBC. She’s always been vocal that her family comes first, and I applaud that, but if it’s only Saturdays she can do - a contract to sever I think.

Doesn't she still do the One on Fridays?
BP
Bob Paisley

It depends how big her contract is, I suppose. If she's on a huge wedge, but only doing one day a week, it seems like poor value for money. But if it's only a part-time contract, what's the problem?
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse

Not in a while
GT
GraemeT
Yea some false logic going on here. Surely if she’s contracted to do ‘X’ saturdays a month to cover others, then she could infect be VERY good value for money. She won’t be commanding the same rate pull that some of the others will?
NE
Newsroom

Not in a while

I don't think Kate Silverton is BBC Staff so to speak, never has been, but she's senior enough to have presented every bulletin on BBC One and once had her own shift on the News Channel. Whatever the situation, and of course it's none of our business, I just don't see any value for money when the duty NC presenter can cover Saturdays. Sunday evenings are different. The bulletins are usually always presented by a BBC Staffer.
CM
cmthwtv

Normally Ben Brown or Reeta these days.
MI
m_in_m

Not in a while

I don't think Kate Silverton is BBC Staff so to speak, never has been, but she's senior enough to have presented every bulletin on BBC One and once had her own shift on the News Channel. Whatever the situation, and of course it's none of our business, I just don't see any value for money when the duty NC presenter can cover Saturdays. Sunday evenings are different. The bulletins are usually always presented by a BBC Staffer.

I don't see the difference whether the bulletin is presented by a BBC staffer or a freelancer. Either the bulletins can be covered with existing resources that doesn't involve a dedicated presenter or they can't.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Not in a while

I don't see the difference whether the bulletin is presented by a BBC staffer or a freelancer. Either the bulletins can be covered with existing resources that doesn't involve a dedicated presenter or they can't.

Freelancers are generally more expensive
MA
Markymark

Freelancers are generally more expensive

But (IR35 issues aside) they don't have employment cost overheads, rule of thumb is it costs about twice someones' PAYE gross wage to employ them.
:-(
A former member
Potentially cheaper long term to have a core team and then fill the gaps with freelancers, same with a lot of businesses, so you have the flex for holidays, absence etc. Although you could argue they have enough talent in the wider organisation to maybe not have to do this, but that would assume that the BBC manage their resources economically...
NE
Newsroom
Ok, ok, I'll thrown my hands up! I just didn't like her blouse last night! Very Happy

Newer posts