Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

LE
Lester Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
And here's the intro, what you'd expect really. Go to 38 seconds.....

I wonder why they didn't do a complete 360 and go back to 'Pictures' instead of 'Studios'?
JA
Jake Central (East) East Midlands Today
And here's the intro, what you'd expect really. Go to 38 seconds.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfNwoX7Un_8

I wonder why they didn't do a complete 360 and go back to 'Pictures' instead of 'Studios'?

This is fan-made I think.
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
Yes that's clearly a mock when you compare it to the screen shot I posted.

They're not going to put "A Division of The Walt Disney Company" on it for many reasons.

Because 20th Century Studios is going to be producing a lot of content for streaming services and only four movies (or 'pictures') a year.
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Yes that's clearly a mock when you compare it to the screen shot I posted.

They're not going to put "A Division of The Walt Disney Company" on it for many reasons.
Yeah, you don't see that byline on Marvel Studios's logo, so why would 20th Century Studios have it?
WH
There are two main reasons:

They are averse to using the Disney brand on anything which isn't family friendly. 20th Century will be producing content which goes beyond that remit. You won't see the 20th Century brand on Disney+ either.

Although Disney is obviously a huge corporate giant they don't like to seem that way, which is why you have never seen "A Walt Disney Company" on the logos for Pixar or Lucasfilm either. It gives the impression of autonomy, and all the creative freedom which comes with that.
Last edited by Whataday on 6 February 2020 2:36pm
Jeffmister and whoiam989 gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
Didn't they start the Touchstone label solely because they didn't want the Disney name on films with more mature themes?
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I think the first Pirates Of The Carribean film was the first ever film released under the Disney label to have a higher rating than PG, and apparently even that was controversial at the time.
WH
Didn't they start the Touchstone label solely because they didn't want the Disney name on films with more mature themes?

Yes, and it was literally an alias for Walt Disney Pictures rather than a division in its own right.
RD
rdd Founding member
Caught a TV advert for Disney+ on Virgin Media One this afternoon during the rugby, so obviously gearing up for the European launch.
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
You won't see the 20th Century brand on Disney+ either.
Yes you will. On The Simpsons, at least.
WH
JAS84 posted:
You won't see the 20th Century brand on Disney+ either.
Yes you will. On The Simpsons, at least.

I mean you won't see it alongside these:

DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
If people are interested in the launch, it's a decent idea to register interest. Am hearing that there might be an offer for pre-registrants on Annual Subs in the first month. (12 months for £45 has been mentioned as possible ... 25pct off)

Some more indicative offer mumbles. 2 week free trial for pre-registrants and the offer of £119.98 for THREE rather than TWO years as the hook, a 33pct off deal. Should be announced early March.

Newer posts