TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
channel4squares1
I wonder if it was the same master tape they tried to use between the 1992 showing and the 1996 showing. Wonder how they coped today if they tried to show this film.
Curto21 and itvblocks gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The info I have is that it was an issue with the network feed into BBC Wales on that occasion in 1992.
uktvwatcher, Curto21 and itvblocks gave kudos
MA
Markymark

The solution was to unscrew and unplug the machine and lift it out of the bay, take it over to a wall socket on the other side of the room, plug it in and eject the tape.... then leg it downstairs to the analogue TX area and play it from there. Quick thinking but of course the tape was still intact

Perhaps good to have a box of 2m IEC double enders, pre barrelled together, ready for such occurances!
Inspector Sands and Curto21 gave kudos
IT
itvblocks
Eh, it fell off air 4 years earlier? Some sort of jinx on it!

Yeah, I'm interested myself as to how "Heaven Can Wait" fell off air twice in four years. Behold, the cursed film of the BBC.

I wonder if it was the same master tape they tried to use between the 1992 showing and the 1996 showing. Wonder how they coped today if they tried to show this film.

I think the same, was the tape damaged? Did the machine simply refuse to play the tape?

The info I have is that it was an issue with the network feed into BBC Wales on that occasion in 1992.

Was this the case second time round?
MA
Markymark

No RBS from Mendip available!!?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Would the pres suite in Cardiff have been able to get an off-air Mendip feed? Or are you thinking more of taking out a U-link or two to force the Welsh transmitters into RBS?
MA
Markymark
Would the pres suite in Cardiff have been able to get an off-air Mendip feed? Or are you thinking more of taking out a U-link or two to force the Welsh transmitters into RBS?

Yep, the latter!

Though having off air feeds of BBC 1 and 2 Mendip on the station router might have been handy? (Like all station routers it was probably full up with other stuff!)
Last edited by Markymark on 5 February 2020 6:29am - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands

Unlikely, in 1996 it would have been played from D3 tape and that was only launched onto the market in 1991. It would have been presumably either a 1" tape or even maybe still played from film.

It's irrelevant anyway as the first breakdown was a failure of it getting into Cardiff, presumably fine for everyone outside Wales
IS
Inspector Sands
Though having off air feeds of BBC 1 and 2 Mendip on the station router might have been handy? (Like all station routers it was probably full up with other stuff!)

I'm surprised they didn't have 2 paths of the network feed into Cardiff, nowadays that's standard for anything broadcast critical.

Not that such an issue would be as much of a problem these days, everything's centralised so could be switched downstream
IS
Inspector Sands

The solution was to unscrew and unplug the machine and lift it out of the bay, take it over to a wall socket on the other side of the room, plug it in and eject the tape.... then leg it downstairs to the analogue TX area and play it from there. Quick thinking but of course the tape was still intact

Perhaps good to have a box of 2m IEC double enders, pre barrelled together, ready for such occurances!

Yes, that does assume that there's a spare IEC in the bays to plug it into. Not sure if there were but of course it could mean having to depower something else!
MA
Markymark

Perhaps good to have a box of 2m IEC double enders, pre barrelled together, ready for such occurrences!

Yes, that does assume that there's a spare IEC in the bays to plug it into. Not sure if there were but of course it could mean having to depower something else!

Alright, a daisy chain of IECs, with a 13A to IEC at one end Cool
MA
Markymark

Unlikely, in 1996 it would have been played from D3 tape and that was only launched onto the market in 1991. It would have been presumably either a 1" tape or even maybe still played from film.

It's irrelevant anyway as the first breakdown was a failure of it getting into Cardiff, presumably fine for everyone outside Wales

Unless Wales were timeshifting it, and that's what went wrong. Genome says it was 23:55 on 'England' couldn't seem to select any variations ?

Newer posts