The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 16th July onwards

Split from BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CU
Custard56
Am I missing something? I just watched the interview on iPlayer and it seemed, for the most part, like any other Breakfast celebrity interview - a light, genial chat.

The only awkward moment seemed to be when Louise asked him about Zayn from 1 Direction and he said he wasn't ready to discuss it, and the following moment when Louis said "Wow, you're ticking them off aren't you? Trauma, 1D...".

I know there's probably a lot of hostility out there towards Dan and Louise after that interview but it didn't strike me as anything untoward. The references to the deaths of his mother and sister were fleeting; it didn't strike me as Dan and Louise pressing him on the matter or asking him specifically about it.

I understand he has the right to be offended by the line they took but it just didn't seem offensive to me. If anything, Dan and Louise were really talking him up pre and post interview and seemed delighted to have him there. And you can see Louis smiling and shaking their hands as they throw to the regional news at the end of the interview.

A bit bizarre to me.
Last edited by Custard56 on 3 February 2020 9:29pm - 2 times in total
:-(
A former member
Well it’s given his album some publicity.
ST
Stuart
Am I missing something? I just watched the interview on iPlayer and it seemed, for the most part, like any other Breakfast celebrity interview - a light, genial chat.

I also watched it on iPlayer, and can't see any problem with the interview.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Very poor prep by his PR people if he's not capable of handling a lightweight BBC Breakfast interview, feeling they were "proper going in" on him... Crikey. Also, to say he will be "boycotting" the show is a bit of a laugh, hardly a regular guest.

Well it’s given his album some publicity.

Exactly, his moody tweet generated more fuss than the fluffy interview on it's own ever would have. Maybe he just doesn't like Monday mornings (which is fair enough).

(Edit: sorry, I've just repeated points made on the last page - didn't read far enough back...!)
Last edited by scottishtv on 3 February 2020 11:46pm

10 days later

NE
Newsroom
It'll be interesting to see what Bill Turnbull does for audience figures when he fills in for Piers Morgan 24, 25, 26th February on Good Morning Britain. I mean, everyone loves a reunion!
RD
RDJ
It'll be interesting to see what Bill Turnbull does for audience figures when he fills in for Piers Morgan 24, 25, 26th February on Good Morning Britain. I mean, everyone loves a reunion!

You try telling that to Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley...!
JA
james-2001
RDJ posted:

You try telling that to Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley...!

At least Bill is back on Breakfast TV, Adrian & Christine were another case of trying to move something to a different timeslot and showing what works at one time of the day doesn't always work at another.
CU
Custard56

The first time BBC Breakfast will be beaten by Good Morning Britain, no doubt. Oh well.
BR
Brekkie

Bill may have hosted Breakfast for a decade or so but as he admits in his interviews regarding GMB he never made it about himself or his opinions - the show is bigger than even their longest serving hosts.
RN
Rolling News

Bill may have hosted Breakfast for a decade or so but as he admits in his interviews regarding GMB he never made it about himself or his opinions - the show is bigger than even their longest serving hosts.

At least Piers Morgan has the same attitude - he never lets his opinions get in the way of anything.
CA
Cando

It was Sian and Bill that were the magic partnership. Susanna and Bill never had the same chemistry. They hosted together for less than 2 years, Sian even came back after a few months to host Olympic Breakfast on London with him. Not that it matters one bit to the ratings
BA
Bail Moderator
Unless ITV trail is massively, I doubt you'll see any change in figures at all and that regular Breakfast viewers won't even know Bill was on the other side. As has been said, breakfast TV is a weirdly routine based activity.

Newer posts