TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
The cutting short of songs really is annoying me now anyway, it really is excessive.
VM
VMPhil
I haven’t been too bothered by it, but a song like ‘Belfast Child’ just doesn’t work when it gets chopped down so much. It’s not very satisfying when you only get to hear the middle and not the beginning or end. Then again it is six minutes long.

I’m really surprised ‘Something’s Gotten Hold of My Heart’ was number one for four weeks. It’s not very memorable IMO.
DA
davidhorman

I’m really surprised ‘Something’s Gotten Hold of My Heart’ was number one for four weeks. It’s not very memorable IMO.

I think anyone who was around at the time and paying even a modicum of attention could still whistle the tune. I know I can. The unusual pairing of Gene Pitney and Marc Almond (who was on BBC Breakfast recently, and doesn't look like he's aged 30 years) probably helped make it memorable too.
TI
tightrope78

I think anyone who was around at the time and paying even a modicum of attention could still whistle the tune. I know I can. The unusual pairing of Gene Pitney and Marc Almond (who was on BBC Breakfast recently, and doesn't look like he's aged 30 years) probably helped make it memorable too.

It was originally recorded by Pitney in 1967 and reached number 5 in the UK chart. It was the nostalgia factor, plus pairing Pitney with the unusual Marc Almond that made it go to number one for so long.
JA
james-2001
One thing I just noticed, the Tyree video on the breakers on the 23/2/89 edition was just the video for Jack Your Body by Steve Silk Hurley with a different song dubbed over it- strange.
SW
Steve Williams
As I mentioned on Twitter, Top of the Pops is now the number one music show on TV.

So Bruno is probably still correct in always introducing it as "Europe's number one TV pop show".

No, we probably aren't in a golden age of music television.
JA
james-2001
Also there was some sort of tape damage during the Michael Jackson video on the 23/2 edition as well.
SW
Steve Williams
Also there was some sort of tape damage during the Michael Jackson video on the 23/2 edition as well.

I'm not sure that wasn't actually part of the video, mind, cos it was one of *those* kind of videos.

Of course, in July we'll see the video for Liberian Girl where I seem to recall you can't actually hear much of the record over all the dialogue in it.
JA
james-2001

I'm not sure that wasn't actually part of the video, mind, cos it was one of *those* kind of videos.

It's not been there when I've seen the video elsewhere!
BU
buster
I thought this start of this episode was quite dodgy. A shot of the audience largely in darkness, then a zoom up to the tower to find Crane and Goodier only just visible behind a piece of set (and initially out of focus too because of said piece of set dressing).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000dt74/top-of-the-pops-16021989

As has already been said the new tower isn't great - presumably the idea was to get the presenters up out of the way of the audience, but it seems they're often not able or allowed to disembark during the performance so they're stuck there throughout, often grooving awkwardly alongside the 2 or 3 audience members who have managed to squeeze up there with them. Though I note they did run for it during the Def Leppard performance...surprising anyone was allowed up there with the pyros going off.
BB
BBG43
you cant really hear the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3V-7DEAgdc shame because its one of his underrated songs along with who is it

Of course, in July we'll see the video for Liberian Girl where I seem to recall you can't actually hear much of the record over all the dialogue in it.
BR
Brekkie
As I mentioned on Twitter, Top of the Pops is now the number one music show on TV.

So Bruno is probably still correct in always introducing it as "Europe's number one TV pop show".

No, we probably aren't in a golden age of music television.

Well you could argue The Masked Singer and The Voice are music shows.

Newer posts