Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DO
dosxuk
I've currently got two mice plugged into my work computer. The nice Bluetooth one which seems to work 98% of the time and a cheap usb one that mostly gets used to turn Bluetooth on and off.

I've seen plenty of people having multiple mice though, often of different types for different tasks, like proper trackball's for precise work and normal ones for checking emails.
QN
Quatorzine Neko
On this day of Brexit, it feels a bit surreal to find some footage of Newsnight in 1992 in which the main story was a debate over the Maastricht treaty… in France.

(From 1:09)

Last edited by Quatorzine Neko on 31 January 2020 5:59pm
NL
Ne1L C
Wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey Laughing
IS
Inspector Sands
1987 documentary about This is Your Life
JA
james-2001
Interesting that show was made by the BBC when This Is Your Life was still on ITV at the time.
BR
Brekkie
Surprised it hasn't been revived really. They did a one-off with Trevor McDonald a few years back (was it Simon Cowell who got the book?) which seemed to be a pilot but it got no further. Obviously nowadays half hour shows are very rarely allowed to be half an hour long so if it returned to ITV it would probably be an hour so have to air Tuesdays or Sundays really, unless it got a 9pm slot. More likely to be kept to half an hour on the BBC but can't see it being thrown out against Corrie really.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Surprised it hasn't been revived really. They did a one-off with Trevor McDonald a few years back (was it Simon Cowell who got the book?) which seemed to be a pilot but it got no further. Obviously nowadays half hour shows are very rarely allowed to be half an hour long so if it returned to ITV it would probably be an hour so have to air Tuesdays or Sundays really, unless it got a 9pm slot. More likely to be kept to half an hour on the BBC but can't see it being thrown out against Corrie really.

Modern day "This is Your Life" would just be a copy and paste job from Wikipedia and "video links" squirted down mobile phone cameras.

Here's a 1976 (I think, endcap isn't particular clear) edition of This Is Your Life, featuring the actor Arnold Ridley:

I suppose it could be argued that the stories are sort of "personal" in this era and these days you can vlog all you like over YouTube. So it's another example of a programme that can never be the same again, when Wikipedia effectively does it for you.
IS
Inspector Sands
Incidently, the reason I was looking at This is Your Life clips on YouTube was because Chris Moyles was talking about doing the same on his podcast this week. In particular he mentioned Bill Oddies episode, the surprise on which went very wrong indeed:

IS
Inspector Sands
Interesting that show was made by the BBC when This Is Your Life was still on ITV at the time.

It was a special episode of Did You See: https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/c780ee684d124658aa2603180cb066f2

It was repeated as a tribute to Eamonn Andrews later that year: https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/915f6b1e894d49869ca6a073fd83a532
NW
nwtv2003
Thames signing off from 1 February 1979. Note the closing programme is after the closedown itself.

SP
Steve in Pudsey
I was just coming here to post the same clip, I hadn't realised that Thames did a slide promoting LWT's programmes
NW
nwtv2003
I was just coming here to post the same clip, I hadn't realised that Thames did a slide promoting LWT's programmes

I’ve seen a clip (either TV Ark or YouTube) where the Friday night schedule is promoted at closedown, but without any branding at all. I’m really surprised that LWT got a name check in this scenario.

Newer posts