« Topics
ethanh05503 posts since 2 Apr 2017
HTV Wales Wales Today
They’re the same graphics they’ve been using for about 5(?) years. The package is clearly inspired those graphics but I believe they’re a different creation rather than a recolouring. They’ve also been used on the world feed for longer than the BBC have been taking them.

Edit: looks like they came in 2014 on the world feed and the BBC began taking them a year later. Of course they have changed the colours in that time depending on the title sponsor.

Which doesn't explain why the current graphics are blue even though the sponsors are Guinness.

They're black.

Oh okay. I swear they were blue! Must be going colour-blind...
dosxuk4,472 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Here’s an article from TVTechnology discussing some of the aspects of the Super Bowl broadcast from a technical standpoint. One thing they mentioned is that they are not going native 4K due to motion blur.

Could someone explain to me how there would be more blur if your shooting it at the same speed of 60fps?

Two factors.

1. If the camera tech is the same for HD and UHD it's not 'more blur' it's that the blur is more visible. If you capture for 1/60th second - which is normal for a live 60fps look, then you will have the same amount of motion blur optically. However if you are capturing at 4x resolution for UHD, this will make the blur far more obvious, and reduce the benefit of UHD capture (aka 4K) Motion blur that would be acceptable at HD (as it's limited by the lower resolution of HD) may not be acceptable at UHD. That's one of the reasons that HFR as well as UHD is being developed. 100 and 120fps formats are being developed to halve the image exposure time, and reduce motion blur. This may look a bit un-nerving to audiences used to motion blur though.

In other words - the motion blur at 60fps on sport coverage removes the benefit of UHD capture, at least partially, as all you are doing is capturing a blurry picture more accurately on moving picture areas. If you are comparing with 720p60 or 1080i30 it's worse - as you aren't going from 1080->2160 you are going from 720->2160 or 540->2160 on vertical resolution respectively too... (1080i drops to 540p equivalent on fast motion)

I wouldn't say 'more blurry' though - I'd say 'motion blur becomes more of an issue'

2. All current Grass Valley LDX-series (unless I missed a new camera) and the first generation Sony HDC4300s also have rolling shutters at UHD (LDX only rolls at UHD), so you also get rolling shutter artefacts in 4K if you are using GVG or first gen Sony cameras. The new Sony HDC3500/5500 (and the F55 Live) have global shutter so don't have these artefacts.

What’s a rolling shutter?

robertclark1251,509 posts since 13 Jan 2009
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Frontrunner TV is no longer on the Sky EPG. Noticed this morning it was missing. I also noticed last night, on one of the 100 channels, up in the 170s, that Racing Post Greyhound TV was being broadcast on a channel there; this was previously a staple of evenings on Frontrunner.

Some of the motorsport rights, such as the Irish Rally championship, the Scottish rally championship, and karting, were on Frontrunner. These had previously been on the now defunct Motors TV, so it'll be interesting to see where they go, if anywhere.
Brekkie33,944 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Not had chance to watch Eurosport coverage of the Aus Open until the final today but it is noticeably poorer than usual.

Also didn't help when deciding to watch this morning the Firestick decided it needed to do an update which meant it was 20 minutes from turning it on to being able to watch.
Stay Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.
rdd3,503 posts since 21 Jun 2001
They were, originally - changed to purple when NatWest took over as sponsors and then to black when Guinness took over.

I meant to add, as a postscript - the original blue graphics are still used for the Women’s Six Nations, which doesn’t have a title sponsor.

Also rugby related, RTÉ making good use of its virtual set (that it used for the World Cup, with different backdrops in each case) for Against the Head (the rugby magazine programme) and Allianz League Sunday (the GAA highlights show) last week.
Brekkie33,944 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Not sure why the BBC need Dylan Hartley, Martin Johnson and Jeremy Huscott as pundits for the rugby. Time to ditch Guscott I think if they're wanting more recent names. 4 pundits and 3 commentators does seem excessive.
Stay Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.
Rkolsen3,169 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
I’m watching the Super Bowl pregame festivities in the upscaled UHD HDR. I will say the upscaling is quite good but the HDR especially with the vibrant colors of South Beach and Miami take the cake.

However the down scaled picture that is airing on Fox affiliates isn’t that good. Maybe it’s just my affiliate but I doubt it as Fox’s splicer has complete control over the output of the affiliate. Or perhaps it’s my UHD TV and all the cross conversion going on with Fox taking a 1080p source, downscaling it to 720p for affiliate broadcasts and then finally my TV upscaling it to 2160p to fit the frame.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
TIGHazard712 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I’m watching the Super Bowl pregame festivities in the upscaled UHD HDR. I will say the upscaling is quite good but the HDR especially with the vibrant colors of South Beach and Miami take the cake.

However the down scaled picture that is airing on Fox affiliates isn’t that good. Maybe it’s just my affiliate but I doubt it as Fox’s splicer has complete control over the output of the affiliate. Or perhaps it’s my UHD TV and all the cross conversion going on with Fox taking a 1080p source, downscaling it to 720p for affiliate broadcasts and then finally my TV upscaling it to 2160p to fit the frame.

If the BBC take Fox's feed I guess we can compare.
rdd3,503 posts since 21 Jun 2001
Oh dear Fox. Gone from a nice understated package to this.

The pluses: the score bar and the new transparent down and distance marker.

The minus: Everything is giant. And in italics.

The bizzare: the cartoony portraits of players.