The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
With Newsnight kicked out of the studio again tonight and Victoria Derbyshire being axed could they actually close Studio B if needs really must?

• BBC World News on Friday
• Impact
• Live with Lucy Hockings
• Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst
• Global with Matthew Amroliwala
• Focus on Africa
• Newsnight

Most of the above are mostly daily shows with multiple editions (and probably something else I’ve forgotten) and all come out of Studio B, many at times when other studios are in use. So, it would be difficult to close B, I think.

And nearly all those shows not even seen by the UK Licence Fee Payer.
BR
Brekkie
With Newsnight kicked out of the studio again tonight and Victoria Derbyshire being axed could they actually close Studio B if needs really must?

• BBC World News on Friday
• Impact
• Live with Lucy Hockings
• Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst
• Global with Matthew Amroliwala
• Focus on Africa
• Newsnight

Most of the above are mostly daily shows with multiple editions (and probably something else I’ve forgotten) and all come out of Studio B, many at times when other studios are in use. So, it would be difficult to close B, I think.

Although all can be relocated when needs be. I'm not saying they should close it, just questioning whether they can afford the luxury of so many studios now.
DO
dosxuk
What would the benefit of closing it be though? It's already there, in a building with multiple other studios, fitted with modern equipment, and it's the only real multi-function studio they have. At most there's some maintenance savings to be had, but if you need the studio for anything, you don't even get that as a saving.

Newsnight and Marr would have to completely change the way they structure their programmes if they didn't have B, (or more probably, hiring another studio elsewhere).
SW
Steve Williams
No it's not - it's a graphic used to hide that 450 of them won't be working for BBC News much longer.

"Hiding" it, apart from the fact that was entirely what the presentation was about.
neonemesis, Inspector Sands and bilky asko gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Under the guise of "modernising" BBC News.
NE
Newsroom
This talk of closing studios at NBH really is a non topic. The building along with its studios have only been in use since Jan 2013.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Why are people suggesting closing B when the World News output that comes from there goes towards bringing in revenue to the BBC?
GR
griffinuk
Why are people suggesting closing B when the World News output that comes from there goes towards bringing in revenue to the BBC?

Precisely on point there. If anything, I'd expect to see more BBC World News output appearing on the BBC News Channel, and cuts taking place domestically.
JA
Jarv
See #scrapthelicencefee has been trending all day following last nights coverage, do get the feeling this is the beginning of the end, which in my view would be a shame
PA
Parker
In the great scheme of things the NBH studios don't cost a lot of money to run. You need talent on and off screen that's the expensive bit.

If they want to save money shut Look Hull down and save the salaries & overheads there.
NE
Newsroom

Precisely on point there. If anything, I'd expect to see more BBC World News output appearing on the BBC News Channel, and cuts taking place domestically.

Maybe this is why Brekkie’ was warned again? Wink

Come on Brekkie - more coffee! Very Happy
JW
JamesWorldNews
Why have you been “Recently Warned” again, Brekkie? I’m struggling to keep up with your alleged sins. 😜

Newer posts