The Newsroom

Brexit Day/Night coverage

Coverage on 31 January 2020 (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GI
ginnyfan
When CNNI was finally allowed to cut off their CNN US Impeachment non event simulcast, they had a surprisingly celebratory coverage of Brexit night. Richard and Bianca were in front of No 10, reflecting on the last 3 years while reporter Anna Stewart was at the Brexit party event, very enthusiastic, talking to the thrilled crowd and highlighting the fact people finally got what they voted for. Nic Robertson gave a more sombre view, pointing out potential negative effects.

It was a proper way to wrap up years of coverage. Thumbs up
rdobbie, plymouthbloke1974 and richard h gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5SuLxgzL8k

“There’ll be Sky News over the White Cliffs of Dover...”

Quite an impressive sequence, but the music bed running throughout just felt... odd? I don't know if nat sound or commentary would have been any better. The nearest equivalent I can think of is late 90s-era Sunrise doing a "let's take a look back at some of the images of the day" over the extended theme tune to pad out time at the end of the programme.
RH
richard h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5SuLxgzL8k

“There’ll be Sky News over the White Cliffs of Dover...”

Quite an impressive sequence, but the music bed running throughout just felt... odd? I don't know if nat sound or commentary would have been any better. The nearest equivalent I can think of is late 90s-era Sunrise doing a "let's take a look back at some of the images of the day" over the extended theme tune to pad out time at the end of the programme.

It felt like much more of an event watching it on sky than anywhere else and I think the music bed added to that with the 1 minute of build up and 2 mins of aftermath. Letting the pictures do the talking for once instead of a presenter saying the obvious I think worked on this occasion its just a shame about the audio issues they had which spoilt it slightly for me. I like how they cut in the big ben bongs from Downing Street though maybe letting us hear all of them would have been good too and the word "left" on the Dover projection was hard to read but I'm nit picking. well done sky
Jeffmister, London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
And that was really uncomfortable. Indeed notable last night how coverage across the main channels was anchored from the safety of the studios.

You don’t think they were actors?

They disrupted the OB just enough to be funny but not enough to take it off air, and with completely clean language.
BR
Brekkie
And that was really uncomfortable. Indeed notable last night how coverage across the main channels was anchored from the safety of the studios.

They disrupted the OB just enough to be funny but not enough to take it off air, and with completely clean language.

The clean language makes me suspect they weren't, but I did think I recognised the bloke from somewhere.
JK
JKDerry
rob posted:
Adam Hills will be shaving his beard for C4. That's about the only good thing about it.

I note that last week The Last Leg said that Lorraine Kelly would be a "roving reporter" for their special. However, instead of her, it was Tom Allen.

You have to admit choosing Tom was much better, especially after he got surrounded by the weirdos at the end of the show, with him begging the studio to collect him as fast as possible. Just brilliant.

The Last Leg was the best show on Brexit night.
BR
Brekkie
Don't you mean Beardxit night?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Did anyone else feel a little uncomfortable about the Sky News 'goodbyes' in the various different languages with accompanying flags? It kinda goes against the whole "we're not saying goodbye to Europe, just the EU". thing. I was half expecting the UK to uproot and fly off into space at the end.
GR
griffinuk
Did anyone else feel a little uncomfortable about the Sky News 'goodbyes' in the various different languages with accompanying flags? It kinda goes against the whole "we're not saying goodbye to Europe, just the EU". thing. I was half expecting the UK to uproot and fly off into space at the end.

Not really, it was only the flags of EU member-states, not all European countries, and similarly, hours earlier, the EU was lowering the Union Jack across Brussels openly infront of the camera's.

I actually think that the way Sky News marked Brexit was very poignant. It wasn't celebratory in my view, and wasn't focused on Parliament Square, which could have been seen as "grandstanding" brexit, it was very matter of fact, and quite literally a goodbye to those that only hours ago we were in a club with.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Kudos to Geeta for keeping a straight face.

PE
peterrocket Founding member

Speaking of disrupted OBs, seems like the BBC got off lightly compared to RTÉ... (does contain some very strong language!)

MA
mapperuo
Was the director even paying attention, they could have cut away from that a bit sooner!

Newer posts