TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2020

Returning February! (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
"Large games teams"?

Yes, large teams of games producers to look after the various games- based items and hits in the show.

Ah, the sort of teams of games producers that crop up on shows filmed around the country.

I don’t understand gottago’s point. Even if these companies aren’t based are outside of London, there are motorways linking the whole country.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I remember Ruth and Eamonn on This Morning once moaning that SNT brought parts of TLS to a standstill for several days whenever they had something going on outside the studio complex. Would be interesting to see what would they can get away with at TVC.
JB
JasonB
February 22nd would make sense, making 7 episodes in the series. According to Twitter and a couple of Disney World forums, Ant & Dec were spotted filming a promo in Magic Kingdom earlier this month, with the final show apparently due to be from there on 4th April (as the afternoon parade time has been changed on that day), so basically repeating what they did in 2017.

So it sounds like it's going to be the same old same old then.
AN
Andrew Founding member
February 22nd would make sense, making 7 episodes in the series. According to Twitter and a couple of Disney World forums, Ant & Dec were spotted filming a promo in Magic Kingdom earlier this month, with the final show apparently due to be from there on 4th April (as the afternoon parade time has been changed on that day), so basically repeating what they did in 2017.

So it sounds like it's going to be the same old same old then.

Building up to the end of series finale is now a big format point, it’d feel flat without it now.
GO
gottago
Jon posted:
Yes, large teams of games producers to look after the various games- based items and hits in the show.

Ah, the sort of teams of games producers that crop up on shows filmed around the country.

I don’t understand gottago’s point. Even if these companies aren’t based are outside of London, there are motorways linking the whole country.

I thought he meant moving the entire production up to London rather than just the studio. I was increasingly drunk in the run up to Brexit frankly.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Asa posted:
Have Ant & Dec ever done anything in their career in TC1?

TV Studio History says Friends Like These was recorded in TC1 but looking at clips I'd say it was done in TC4.

I did a couple of weekday TVC tours - back in the day - and despite them being a couple of years apart, both times, the Friends Like These set was struck for an evening recording in TC1.

Minor point of pedantry: striking a set is taking it down - I think you maybe meant standing?
JCB posted:
I know it was never likely to happen but I think the show would have worked really well from media city. They could have made great use of the plaza.

Isn't the plaza connected to the BBC building though rather than the Dock 10 studios.

Anything they did outside would probably be big enough to require an OB truck, at which point a fibre run to the right building becomes fairly trivial.
DO
dosxuk
Don't Dock 10 market the plaza as HQ10 (or similar) to reflect that they've got loads of plug in points dotted around to enable things to be easily fed to any of the galleries?
BR
Brekkie
I think you're right.

Just hope they've freshened up SNT - it was suffering from the same problems as the first run last time out and beginning to tire. They really do need to start almost from scratch with it and put in a load of new regular features - I think things like Ant v Dec and Win the Ads could be retired now.
SC
Score
I think you're right.

Just hope they've freshened up SNT - it was suffering from the same problems as the first run last time out and beginning to tire. They really do need to start almost from scratch with it and put in a load of new regular features - I think things like Ant v Dec and Win the Ads could be retired now.

They were getting record ratings for the last series even before Ant’s crash, so I doubt they’ll want to change too much. I don’t think it was feeling particularly tired either, they gave it a mini-refresh in 2016 which helped. Increasingly most features only seem to appear 3-4 times per series max now, they seem to rotate between a much larger selection of features these days with most not appearing every week, which makes it feel a bit fresher.

Agree Win The Ads is easily the worst part and should go, but it would kind of ruin the show’s tagline. They could change the feature up a bit though, it’s pretty much the only thing that’s been there since near enough the beginning now.

Presumably they’ll need at least one new feature though as In For a Penny surely won’t form part of it now it has its own show? Possibly a new feature for Mulhern?
AN
Andrew Founding member
I think you're right.

I would disagree. When you consider each feature tended to appear about 3 times a series, that enabled them to stay much fresher than many things on a Saturday night that are on much more frequently.
JK
JKDerry
I feel with their move to Television Centre which is a larger studio than TLS Studio 1 was, it would give the production team the chance to revamp the show in a much larger scale.

The two year break also means they had the time to redevelop the show and create some new ideas, and revamp the older ones.

Win the Ads must be part of an advertising deal, so I do not see that section dropped from the show. It is called Saturday Night Takeaway, and the Takeaway part does suggest winning the ads in a very loose way to some.

With a larger Studio TC1 to play with, and possibly using the outside of this iconic building, there is more scope for a complete refresh of SNT in 2020 in my opinion - my opinion, I hasten to add, as I know I will get trounced on if I said this is what will happen for sure.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I miss What's Next. As much as I like Ant and Dec I always think their natural chemistry is far more fun to watch then tightly rehearsed but vaguely amusing banter. They're at their best when they let go of a little bit of control.
jordanhowell and fanoftv gave kudos

Newer posts