This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
Dust on the slide scanner.

LOL. I doubt it. Very Happy

8 days later

BR
Brekkie
Have Broadcast lost their minds - they've named Channel 5 their "Channel of the Year" in the Broadcast Awards.
ST
Stuart
Have Broadcast lost their minds - they've named Channel 5 their "Channel of the Year" in the Broadcast Awards.

To be fair, there isn't a great deal of competition from the other main channels at the moment.

Since ViacomCBS took over in 2014, and following the rebranding in 2016, the channel does seem to have changed their tactics. Ditching Big Brother probably helped, and moving much of their drivel to 5STAR. They are the channel which has probably improved the most of the last few years.
Jonwo, bitxoin and what gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Though they had a very low base to start from.
JO
Jonwo

It's their second Channel of the Year in less than 2 years so they're doing something right.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

It's their second Channel of the Year in less than 2 years so they're doing something right.

Can anyone explain what? They've spent most the year rehashing low-rent content.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
If rehashing content is the benchmark to win "Channel of the Year" then it probably means any old drivel on any channel could win it, though I would probably question the value of such an award in that instance.

The RTS equivalent is probably more prestigious, last year their "channel of the year" went to CBeebies.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Every time I pass by this thread it's full of people rehashing the statement that Channel 5 rehash their content.
PF
PFML84
Rehashing Their Content: Inside Channel 5, tonight at 9pm

followed by

Secrets of the Channel of the Year: Revealed, tomorrow at 9pm
GO
gottago
Jonwo posted:

Can anyone explain what? They've spent most the year rehashing low-rent content.

The channel is only defined on here by their rehashed stuff. Realistically the channel is actually full of a lot of decent quality factual shows and increasingly drama and they've certainly had a consistently better schedule than Channel 4's year of decline has offered.

It's worth remembering this is an industry award and is about what they've been doing off-screen as much as on. They've championed initiatives that have massively increased the number of regional indies they've been working with and supporting. Daisybeck is a good example of a company that was failing but managed to find great success through C5 and are now one of the most important production companies in Yorkshire. They've just launched a similar initiative with BAME indies which is only good news for the wider industry.

They've got a significantly smaller (and well regarded) commissioning team and budget than C4 but are constantly punching above their weight and now regularly beating them in the ratings. It's important to remember these countdown shows and rehashed docs cost barely anything, I believe the countdown docs are made for £15k which is pennies in TV terms. Ultimately they free up budget for better shows in other parts of the schedules. The other channels do this as well (You've Been Framed, C4's Caught on Camera the other night) but less regularly simply because they have a bigger budget.

It was the only PSB to increase its all hours share last year so it must be doing something right.

So yes ultimately a well deserved award.
JO
Jonwo
If rehashing content is the benchmark to win "Channel of the Year" then it probably means any old drivel on any channel could win it, though I would probably question the value of such an award in that instance.

The RTS equivalent is probably more prestigious, last year their "channel of the year" went to CBeebies.

Channel 5 were actually nominated for that same award and won an RTS Award for Raped: My Story.

I would point out that BBC Two are airing repackaged episodes of Great American Railroad Journeys on Saturdays but yet no one is batting an eyelid.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jonwo posted:
I would point out that BBC Two are airing repackaged episodes of Great American Railroad Journeys on Saturdays but yet no one is batting an eyelid.

There may be a sense of "money's worth" out of repackaging BBC content, considering its funding source. Whereas with Channel 5 it's commercial input, gained by our sitting on our sofas watching said commercials as opposed to watching kettles boil.

Newer posts