The Newsroom

Alastair Stewart to leave ITV News.

(January 2020)

MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
Popbitch on Al.

Quote:

It's genuinely quite astonishing that a bad tweet may be the thing that ends up derailing Alastair Stewart's illustrious innings at ITV News – but not for the reasons that hysterical pundits are giving.

Until he drastically changed his lifestyle in 2004 (after a second drink-driving offence where he rammed his car into a telegraph pole on his way home with a Chinese takeaway) tales of Alastair's hell-raising were legendary in the industry.

At London Tonight in the 90s, it wasn't unheard of that he would have to be locked in his dressing room because he was too hammered to read the news at all, let alone on camera.

And on one overseas trip, he got so wrecked at dinner he spent the entire journey back to his hotel vomiting. One of the crew with him was an old roadie who claimed he hadn't seen anyone that **** since his days touring with Joe Cocker in the 60s "...and he had an arm full of heroin."

I was working at LNN the same time as he was, as I said previously, he had larger than life personality, but I don't recall anything as extreme as the article claims. I do remember the telegraph pole and takeaway incident though!
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Popbitch on Al.

Quote:

It's genuinely quite astonishing that a bad tweet may be the thing that ends up derailing Alastair Stewart's illustrious innings at ITV News – but not for the reasons that hysterical pundits are giving.

Until he drastically changed his lifestyle in 2004 (after a second drink-driving offence where he rammed his car into a telegraph pole on his way home with a Chinese takeaway) tales of Alastair's hell-raising were legendary in the industry.

At London Tonight in the 90s, it wasn't unheard of that he would have to be locked in his dressing room because he was too hammered to read the news at all, let alone on camera.

And on one overseas trip, he got so wrecked at dinner he spent the entire journey back to his hotel vomiting. One of the crew with him was an old roadie who claimed he hadn't seen anyone that **** since his days touring with Joe Cocker in the 60s "...and he had an arm full of heroin."

I was working at LNN the same time as he was, as I said previously, he had larger than life personality, but I don't recall anything as extreme as the article claims. I do remember the telegraph pole and takeaway incident though!

Could that possibly be down to the fact that it actually happened and the other stories were made up by a bitter former colleague?

Even if they were based in truth, given that Popbitch themselves say he ‘changed his ways’ after his arrest, and the incident in question was fifteen years ago, I really fail to see the relevance of it to this story.
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today

Could that possibly be down to the fact that it actually happened and the other stories were made up by a bitter former colleague?

Even if they were based in truth, given that Popbitch themselves say he ‘changed his ways’ after his arrest, and the incident in question was fifteen years ago, I really fail to see the relevance of it to this story.

Stories I've heard from older colleagues is that in the 70s and 80s at ITN he was often draughted in at very short notice to replace other newscasters that had become a bit too 'tired and emotional'!
Last edited by Markymark on 30 January 2020 5:59pm
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
bilky asko, London Lite and VMPhil gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross Central (West) Midlands Today

Yes. The car accident. Wasn't very good from the then host of Police Camera Action..
Readers are warned that this post contains some flash photography
RT
Rich Tea Anglia (West) Look East
So there is a lot of heavy pressure building for the seemingly over reactionary decision to drop Alastair Stewart from ITV/ITN news to be reversed. Even if it was to be, would he choose to return? Would you? To be treated like that after 40 years I think I'd walk away anyway. Why go back after such an episode and likely only get the heave again in maybe 12 months time.

Certain individuals at ITV News clearly wanted him out and have jumped on this opportunity as the perfect fig leaf of cover. Andrew Neil agrees. It's an act of cowardice from his bosses.

LU
Luke
If you're someone with a 40-year career at the top of television, what on earth are you doing getting into a public row with someone nobody's heard of? And then doing it in such a way that causes needless (if accidental) offence to that person?

this is exactly right. Big fan of Alastair's on screen style - and have no idea if it was the 'ape' tweet as ITN are remaining so silent - but this was coming for him. Far too many Twitter rows and he took recently to lecturing and quote tweeting other younger journalists about partiality, so this is also very ironic.
CA
Cando London London

WW
WW Update
The saddest part of this is that people are now abusing Martin Shapland, the victim of Stewart's unprofessional behavior.
LL
London Lite Founding member London London
The main thing I got from Alistair's Twitter was his continued passion for broadcast news and supporting his colleagues on ITV News.
Markymark and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Cando posted:

ITN coming across really badly in this - just no need for that statement. I've followed him on Twitter for years and never seen anything questionable.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
As I type this, the petition to reinstate him is nearly at 38,000 signatures. I really hope this amounts to something positive.
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
Alastair was always one of the most passionate about his job, as evidenced here:

Newer posts