The Newsroom

Alastair Stewart to leave ITV News.

(January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
I met Alastair just once back in 2010 in Derry City when he was covering the findings of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry. He was on the city walls overlooking the Guildhall Square, and was very nice, warm and charming when he came over to speak to us.
GB
Gary Baldy
I'm gutted at this. He was reading news when I was a kid and teenager and also a colleague when I went to work for London News Network. He hasn't a racist bone in his body. This was an absolutely innocent mistake, yet unfortunately in the climate we live in, keyboard warriors will pick up on anything and turn it into something it totally isn't.

One of the greatest careers in television news, marred by one mistake.

Will miss him!

I hope it’s just temporary but doubt it.
JK
JKDerry
Maybe he will join Sky News in a few weeks time. Mark Austin is there now, so he could join his former ITN friend?
Anglialad, Revolution and watchingtv gave kudos
BM
BM11
Maybe he will join Sky News in a few weeks time. Mark Austin is there now, so he could join his former ITN friend?

Do SKY want to get involved in a culture war argument.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 29 January 2020 6:30pm
MarkT76, Inspector Sands and Anglialad gave kudos
RH
richard h
I don't really think he's done anything wrong if it is that tweet that has got him pushed out but speculation on my part is maybe he was planning to retire in a few months anyway and saw no point coming back after the suspension for a few weeks or months so decided to just call it a day. For all we know he might not have even looked at that guys picture and just responded to a tweet but because its to a black man its instantly seen as racist. I know in the past that I have responded to tweets and not looked at their pic or checked out their profile as its the content of the tweet I'm responding to not the person. Its funny how the guy in question has "Tweet in haste, repent at leisure" as his twitter bio. Couldn't be more true in this case.
BM
BM11
I don't really think he's done anything wrong if it is that tweet that has got him pushed out but speculation on my part is maybe he was planning to retire in a few months anyway and saw no point coming back after the suspension for a few weeks or months so decided to just call it a day. For all we know he might not have even looked at that guys picture and just responded to a tweet but because its to a black man its instantly seen as racist. I know in the past that I have responded to tweets and not looked at their pic or checked out their profile as its the content of the tweet I'm responding to not the person. Its funny how the guy in question has "Tweet in haste, repent at leisure" as his twitter bio. Couldn't be more true in this case.

ITV dragged into the culture war.
WW
WW Update
BM11 posted:

Culture war? I think you're being overly dramatic.
AN
Anglialad
BM11 posted:

Not like ITV has enough problems of it's own to be dealing with.
GM
Gary McEwan
Whatever has happened, there won't be anyone else like him in the business.

ITV News won't be the same without him.
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm sure he will turn up somewhere in a few months once it's all calmed down, maybe on the new The Times Radio.

It's not the first time he's lost a presenting job through doing something stupid
DB
dbl
I'm not gonna lie, it's sad to see him go like this. Meanwhile Piers Morgan does way worse and barely gets a slap on the wrist.

Newer posts